8 Replies - 1108 Views - Last Post: 10 April 2013 - 09:14 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you improve your programming skills?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

I am a complete noob who needs help with my programming, how do improve your programming skills?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you improve your programming skills?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you improve your programming skills?

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Think of projects.. examine projects.. do projects.. read the msdn files.. try out progressively more complex projects.. keep up on the framework.. etc.

project lists:

Project Ideas

Martyr2 Mega Project List
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Read, Read and Read some more.

Try small programs that use various commands read about the commands used and why they work or read to discover why they don't work.

The link in my signature has a lot of short videos that do a really good job of explaining the major operations that you would use in most programs. Understanding these and when to use them will be a huge improvement.

Then forums like these where you can post your code that you're having issues with or don't fully understand and someone with knowledge in the area can help and/or explain it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

What kind of help exactly?
Is there a specific thing you are struggling with?

Tons of places online, lots of books available.
This book is a good starting point.
Udacity has a nice programming course you can take for free.

Without specific questions you'll probably get vague answers like mine heh.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostNoob910, on 04 April 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

I am a complete noob who needs help with my programming, how do improve your programming skills?

Write programs.

(If you don't know what to write, go to projecteuler.net and rosalind.info for a ton of good programming challenges that will get you writing while you think about what you want to write for yourself.)

Learn languages.

(The more languages you know, the more ways you can think of to solve a particular problem - this is more tools in your box)

Learn math, particularly higher math

(math is not just arithmetic, it's not just about getting numerical answers, it's about thinking concretely about abstract relations - that is, programming is a form of math. Set theory, number theory, graph theory - they're all good, and if they don't excite you you might be in the wrong field)

And also read about programming.

(But not too much - most of what you learn about programming you'll learn by writing programs)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

The best way to improve is to develop your own project

step back and think about all of those wonderful things you would like it to do

Get started. . . .

The thing to remember is, there is lots of different ways to implement requirements, the challenge is to keep your code simple and as short as possible.

My uni lecturer once told me, if you have to use the same piece of code over and over again then your doing it wrong. :)

Keep code simple and comment your code :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

What I do is think about what I want to accomplish with my program, who the end user(s) will be, and what problems might come up as others use my program. I plan my interfaces to be simple, elegant, and user friendly. Once I have the shape of my application in mind, I'll lay out pseudo-code step-by-step until I've accounted for everything I need to accomplish, then step back and look over the program as a whole as see if there are any areas of redundancy or questionable logic than need cleaning up.

Next, I'll start writing the code, and I always try to stick to best practices where ever I'm aware of them, and I try to seek out best practices when using new methods. Finally, once the program is functioning and does what I need, I try to imagine how I would feel about showing my code to tlhIn`toq. If all I can imagine is a sense of shame and humiliation, I'll work with it until I feel confident enough about it to let him see it.

Usually I never reach that point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostC.Andrews, on 10 April 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Finally, once the program is functioning and does what I need, I try to imagine how I would feel about showing my code to tlhIn`toq. If all I can imagine is a sense of shame and humiliation, I'll work with it until I feel confident enough about it to let him see it.

This is brilliant. Someday I hope to inspire this sort of terror in new programmers...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

When you get to the point that you are ready to start writing your code you should use Option Strict. Here is a link to a good explanation of what it can do for you. Why Option Strict is a Great Idea . I would also recommend learning to debug your code. It will save you a lot of time and headaches when you run into an error. Here is a good link to help you learn how to debug your code. Debugging Express. B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1