3 Replies - 359 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2013 - 03:08 PM Rate Topic: -----

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] Making a physical product.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

http://b.jonw.com/po...hysical-product

A little bit of a departure from the normal game dev, but this guy lays out some great highlights of an idea to testing to programming out a simulator (in ruby) for tweaking the game to packaging to distribution of a dice game.

I've had ideas about making some card games, but never had gotten worked up enough to price out the making.. now this sounds a little more manageable!

Has anyone tried to branch out and make their own physical game?

I had been kicking around the idea for some kind of space themed dice game for a while.
It really helped to make a prototype, as I could actually play the game rather than everything being hypothetical.
I spent a few hours hacking together a little rails app which would play out 100,000 rolls in a few seconds and tell me the chances of everything coming up.
The factory was happy to ship out the tester dice they made before entering full production.
The next step was the packaging.
The last thing I needed was instructions.
Everything arrived at my apartment and I started packaging sets together. This took much longer than I thought it would

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] Making a physical product.

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] Making a physical product.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Its nice the factory made him a test set of dice before production.
With 3d prototype printers becoming a bit more common, I think I might have tried to find someone locally (place an ad on-line, newspaper, CraigsList) to run off a batch based on a CAD file. That way there wouldn't have been a commitment to the factory and more time to test/play the game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

True.. Though I haven't seen a 3d printer do a consistent dice that could be on part with an injection molded one. *shrug* They are getting better though!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Never tried a dice. I've watched them output magazines and lower body assembly for AR-15. I figured if they can do that with enough precious to actually work then a die should be easy. Just presuming though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1