3 Replies - 1244 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Comp Sci Major - Career Expectations - Student Loans

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am in a real tough situation within myself. I got accepted to a pretty good computer science school, the University of Texas at Austin, and have sat down and calculated everything but am still worried. I will have roughly $60,000 of student loans (22,000 federal 3.4% interest && 38,000 private). I know that computer science is a growing field but everywhere I read how people can't pay back their loans. I am choosing to go to an in-state school and the cost is still immense at 27,000/yr with NO REAL financial aid (grants) given. I feel like because of texas' resources and connection that I will be able to find paid internships to help bring down the cost during school and that I can also get a decent job right out of college. But, once again, I am just not sure about how many good paying ($50k+) entry-level jobs in computer science are out there to help pay off my loans. Doing some math with conservative estimates of a $50,000 CS job after college, I would earn $3,600 a month (after taxes). 3,600 - 1,300 living expenses - 650 monthly college payment = 1,650 left? Please let me know if these numbers are correct.

I really just don't want to make a stupid mistake at such a pivitol point in my life. I don't want to not be able to have a family or be stuck forever in debt like some of these other stories I hear about. Can someone just give me some advice and let me know what more i can do to get internships and what not to better my chances of coming out of this thing with my shirt on.

Thanks,
Kenneth

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Comp Sci Major - Career Expectations - Student Loans

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Comp Sci Major - Career Expectations - Student Loans

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

You can work on campus during the year to help you manage the finances. As for internships, do well in your classes. Also do a lot more than what your classes ask. Personal projects are great. Get a professional looking website up to showcase your portfolio and work samples. Those are what employers look for, sometimes moreso than grades (though this depends on the employer).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thanks a lot! Those are some really great ideas! I am really motivated to do this and learn as much as possible. I guess I just worry a little too much :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Most entry level programming jobs in Austin are 55k - 65k some are higher if you can get in with certain companies. The degree from UT won't hurt either with a lot of hiring managers and people out there as alumni. If I could do it all over again and was in your situation I would go for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1