4 Replies - 1174 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2013 - 12:23 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

In need of a book on C# (not .NET) for beginner/advanced.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hello to all of you.

I just joined this website, and i decided to start off with an request to all you nice lads! :)/>

The thing is that i waaay too often find myself questioning what things do like abstract, overriden, protected, polymorphism, etc. You see where i'm going with this. :)/>

The book I am searching for is a book that specificly tells me what things do. I'd really like to find a book that skips all of the unnessecary code and just give me splendid examples of how you can use "x" and what "x" does.
Like saying that overloading a method means that you can have the same method with more parameters, and then show me how the code would look in an example.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you in advance! :D/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: In need of a book on C# (not .NET) for beginner/advanced.

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: In need of a book on C# (not .NET) for beginner/advanced.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

You might try one of the "C# Cookbook" books out there. There are many. Beyond that- I think you're going about things the wrong way. Just coping code out of a book without bothering to actually learn won't get you far. If you learn C# then you don't need a cookbook of receipies to copy: You can actually write code instead of copy/paste.

My standard beginner resources post - Updated Apr 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thank you! :)
I try not to just copy codes from books or tutorials, and actually learn it by doing. However I still have to learn what the individual things does and a neat source, like a book with a index of the things so I can easily look it up when i need to. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Unfortunately, it's not the at the beginner level, but the "More Effective C#" series of books has exactly what you are looking for about how to get the maximum power out of the C# language with the focus on the language and effective coding patterns/techniques, and not delving too deeply into the .NET Framework which is what most beginner C# books I've skimmed through seem to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

You could also try this book Visual C# 2010 Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1