3 Replies - 769 Views - Last Post: 17 April 2013 - 03:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to begin network programming for multiplayer games

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

I've been programming c++ and python for past 3 years (not a professional, final semester college). I'm really interested in network programming and multiplayer network programming seems interesting and challenging but I have no idea how ot begin with it. I really need some pointers, guides any possible help or experience that you guys can share will be really helpful. I've tried google it hasn't been much of a help. I have my general networking concepts clear, just want to apply those in programming. Please guys I really need help. Really want to become a network programmer.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to begin network programming for multiplayer games

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to begin network programming for multiplayer games

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Someplace to start would be simple chat program. The only real difference is a chat program just sends and displays text. Your game would send/receive game commands and updates. You then react to the commands locally. But the transmission of data is transmission of data.

Q: ...make a chat or client-server application?
A:Client/server chat tutorial
Peer-to-peer chat
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I actually have a really similar question, if you don't mind me posting here (didn't see much point in making multiple threads).

I'd like to create a very basic sandbox. A little 3D environment where a couple of friends and I can dally about. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. Eventually I'd like to toy with a mini version of something like secondlife, but I realize everything needs to be taken one step at a time. I've made a couple simply 3d rpg style games, so I've got the basics in that field. Right now I'm just trying to figure out (much like the OP) creating connections.

To my understanding, a server is needed. Is this absolutely required or can certain computers just connect, perhaps with one hosting? I'm thinking something like how file sharing works on office/personal networks.

Would a basic sandbox operate similarly to a chatroom? If information needs to be passed, I figure there's got to be some sort of hosting computer given something would need to store so-and-so is standing at xy coordinates and doing z thing or whatever, which is then sent to everyone else.

I've never made anything like this and it's been difficult to find any info out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well, I think you can choose between two possibilities. (As said in the reply above yours)
1) 'Host' your game on one of the computers and let all others connect to that one
2) Make a 'Server' program that manages the game and all connections. This would be the best I think because it's much easier to get around cheating and everything. The first option would be simpler though (I guess)

I think those are the only two options as I'm too still a beginner on Networking though I'm really interested in how it works. So don't take my reply as the actual BEST reply but I think it's a decent help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1