5 Replies - 3508 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Dual Screen issues

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hey guys, I just got my work station set up finally. Even though all it is, is a laptop running W7 with a second 24" monitor.

One thing I'm noticing which is annoying for me, is if I'm in a game (say League of Legends for example).
I'll have LoL open on my 24", which is set as my primary monitor due to some games refusing to open full screen on a secondary monitor, and Chrome open up my laptop screen. Whenever I move my mouse over to click on Chrome to do something while waiting for spawn or summoning, LoL will minimize.

Is there anyway around this happening? Or am I stuck with it?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dual Screen issues

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dual Screen issues

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I'm running 4 monitors and have never seen that happen.
Then again, I don't play games. So my guess is that it is either the game responding to losing focus, or some utility for the video card.

If it only happen in LoL, then it is the game. If it happens with most applications it might be video card software. Check the task tray for an icon that gives you access to the video software settings.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 05 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Typically games are single full screen, right? Focusing on the desktop minimizes the game, right? Unless the game has specific setup to deal with dual monitors it sounds normal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

As a multi-monitor user I'll just say this screams of lazy coding. Coders that couldn't be bothered with making their applications multi-screen aware. Heck, they had to go out of their way to make it minimize. Just don't do that. The thinking involved isn't tough:
  • I'm the game and I'm full screen.
  • if I loose focus there must be another program open... SO WHAT?

At the very least developers forcing their programs to the front should make settings for:
  • Pause when another program takes control
  • Minimize when " " " "
  • Go to back ground when " " " "
  • Do nothing special when " " "

The only thing I can think about this is they are trying to thwart cheaters using bots that monitor the video feed and superimpose additional information or robotically control faster than a human can.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sure, but games are a different beast than the average app, right? Video RAM, RAM, and CPU hogs all trying to keep the ship afloat on a core timing chain. Even way back in DOOM's age if you tried to hit the desktop (more often than not) it would crash the game. Not all the APIs or SDKs provided a 'suspending' event to watch for.. and even if it did some of the bigger games would have issue trying to save the state and be ready to rehydrate it.

This of course is all excluding the side alternative that large number of games are developed for consoles where this isn't an issue and then lack that on the port to a desktop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

In League you can achieve what you're trying to do by setting the resolution to that of your monitor you're playing on, and then setting the window mode from fullscreen to borderless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1