• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 2832 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ISP's watching what you download?

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

It's like when my kids try to talk during grown up conversations...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I was wandering if TWC was the same as Comcast when it comes to watching what you download. With comcast I ripped a movie off a disk and reformatted it to work on my ipod and 3 days later I got a copyright infringement notice for that movie. I was pissed off when I got that for something I didn't download and I bought legally. Does anyone know if TWC monitor's what is downloaded and what is on my computer?

No they don't know what you download. You are confusing people paid to watch the IPs of people who download torrents and your ISP. They only send a letter if someone else sends them a letter saying you downloaded something. This is why you should use encryption on torrents, because it's still illegal to decrypt encrypted traffic, even if it looks like torrent traffic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

iirc the ISPs couldn't care less, it's the companies that monitor your traffic (through seeding P2P files and writing down IPs). And tpaskell, you should take a closer look at that letter. Usually it'll tell you exactly what movie/thing you downloaded - I doubt it's a DVD you ripped yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 05 April 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

iirc the ISPs couldn't care less, it's the companies that monitor your traffic (through seeding P2P files and writing down IPs). And tpaskell, you should take a closer look at that letter. Usually it'll tell you exactly what movie/thing you downloaded - I doubt it's a DVD you ripped yourself.

I am dead positive it is for that movie. It was Transformers:Dark of the Moon. In the letterhead it stated: "Notice of Copyright Infringement... Notice has been given for the infringement of the copyright material "Transformers_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon"", Which is the exact title on my DVD read in my computer. If i hadnt even been downloading anything why would i get a notice for that anyways. It wasn't until about 2 weeks after that that i started torrenting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 05 April 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

I am dead positive it is for that movie. It was Transformers:Dark of the Moon. In the letterhead it stated: "Notice of Copyright Infringement... Notice has been given for the infringement of the copyright material "Transformers_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon"", Which is the exact title on my DVD read in my computer. If i hadnt even been downloading anything why would i get a notice for that anyways. It wasn't until about 2 weeks after that that i started torrenting.

Uh, well, you put in a DVD in a drive and the title is, unsurprisingly, the name of the disc. So the underscores lead me to believe it was a torrent. Since you know, they don't use _ to delimit spaces when it reads a DVD 'name.'

IE: I put in my Cities XL disc, I get, unsurprisingly, by the DVD Drive, the text 'Cities XL 2012' not 'Cities_XL_2012.'

Belief'o'meter falling.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 05 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Sorry you dont believe me but this was after we just moved and nothing was downloaded there. Why would i be trying to argue and lie to you? I have no reason as im trying to get help. What i was saying is that no torrent was downloaded at this site before the letter. It was about 5 days after the internet was actually installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Sorry you dont believe me but this was after we just moved and nothing was downloaded there. Why would i be trying to argue and lie to you? I have no reason as im trying to get help. What i was saying is that no torrent was downloaded at this site before the letter. It was about 5 days after the internet was actually installed.

You mean, sorry that I don't believe you that you put a DVD in your computer's DVD Drive, which then popped up as TRANSFORMERS_DARK_OF_THE_MOON, which you then copied. Then, somehow, the super sentient internet connection transmitted this data across the wires to some place outside of the country (probably), who then wrote a letter to the studio and said 'hey, this guy copied a DVD' who then wrote a letter to the ISP, who then wrote you a letter and is like 'hey bro, you been downloading stuff. Stop. Seriously, we don't wanna argue with the MPAA.'

Did I miss anything?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

POPULAR

I work at an ISP, we seriously do not care until we get a notice or that we notice you're torrenting so dang much that you're passing bandwidth limits. We probably could explicitly monitor for torrents, but that's not our job. We're not spending extra man hours to appease the MPAA and RIAA in their witch hunts, that's their problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

#24 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

So, um, why is the title of this thread not "ISP's watching what CDs you rip on your home computer and rejigger to play on your iPod"?

'cause if you didn't actually download anything, then "ISP's watching what you download" seems like a weird title to pick for the thread, you know?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'm definitely no lawyer, but doesn't spyware like that sound like grounds for a lawsuit?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Well, it would. But spyware like that doesn't simply exist from ISPs (that we know of, at least.)

You wouldn't just get a copyright notice from ripping it - for that matter, if you did, I suggest you get a good lawyer, but I have a feeling that's not the entire story here. If your ISP sent you a notice about it, that means at some point you received or sent that movie over the internet and either the MPAA or other publishing company noticed you were seeding the torrent and contacted your ISP about it. The point of an ISP is that they deal in your Internet access. Anything you just do on your computer without network activity shouldn't ever be noticed by them. Heck, even if they did notice it, they likely wouldn't care. See Lemur's post.

I don't really want to flat out call tpaskell a liar... but his current story seems really unlikely.

This post has been edited by supercorey: 06 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Postsupercorey, on 06 April 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I don't really want to flat out call tpaskell a liar... but his current story seems really unlikely.

I can see where you are coming from with that, but unfortunately, TWC has a tendancy to be...stupid per say. My numerous dealings with this...company leads me to believe that they would do the spyware deal (Not let you know) and then BAM! hit you in the face with a letter.

But then again, I used to do a lot of Anime Torrenting...and never heard a word from it (Usually was subs). So it leads me to believe the spyware deal (Because they couldn't put spyware on my home computer..unless you were the CIA XD)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Bro, do you even internet?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

OK So i thought saying it was a disk would work, but it didn't. See this confused me and I didn't want to confuse you but it seems i have done that.

The Truth:

The movie was indeed TORRENTED by my friend and then transfered via USB. (This BTW was at my old house). We then moved and i hooked my computer up after we got internet. Three days after this i got a letter from Comcast that i had committed copyright infringement like stated before. This confused me as after i pluged the machine up, i haden't even been online with it because we had to go out of town. The letter was in the mail when we got back.

Does it make sense now? They still got into my computer to see that i had the movie. MY question is how they did it and how i can prevent it. (After this incident i have encrypted my HDD and any Web-Traffic.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

err, ignoring the knee-high, yeah, twc was on the list of companies doing the 6 strike thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +