Threats from North Korea

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

48 Replies - 2422 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Poll: What do you think will happen? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think will happen?

1. North Korea will not live up to the threat. (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. North Korea will launch a missile and it will fail. (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. North Korea will launch a missile and the U.S. will destroy it before it reaches the U.S. (7 votes [25.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

4. The missile may hit us. (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

5. Other (reply with what you think will happen) (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Threats from North Korea

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

With all the threats North Korea is sending the U.S., do you think they will really follow through and "try" to launch a missile aimed at the U.S.? North Korea is way behind us in technology so in my opinion the missile will either fail or we will destroy it before it reaches our coast. Please give your opinion on what will happen.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Threats from North Korea

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Threats from North Korea

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

why would they attack the US when south korea and japan are like, right there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I don't know. But the U.S. should still take the threat seriously. That reminds me: Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Eh.. at worst they have been playing a deep game of possum on their tech abilities and they hit a few hippies in the northwest and clear out some pot farms. At best they do launch something and we show our hand on a missile defense system built on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and ran by cybernetic dolphins, clown fish, and monkey-jellyfish hybrids.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 05 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

They don't even have the capability to fit a nuclear device on a missile yet so I'm not worried.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostThe_Programmer-, on 05 April 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

I don't know. But the U.S. should still take the threat seriously.
..snip..

I am sure the 'training exercise' our bombs are flying around there indicates we are.

View PostThe_Programmer-, on 05 April 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

They don't even have the capability to fit a nuclear device on a missile yet so I'm not worried.

I am certain they have the screw technology to twist on a dirty bomb if need be. Sure.. a dirty bomb does not bring the spectacular light show, or the smell of rose petals and jasmine, that a conventional nuclear device has, but in NK's case it'll do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

The problem is not a serious existential threat from North Korea, or even a credible threat of a launch. The threat is that they will be able to establish themselves as holders of a nuclear weapon, which changes the terms of diplomatic and military relations. When DPRK is strictly a conventional power, they have a tighter set of boundaries than they do when they hold nuclear force. When they're nuclear, they hold two important cards. First, they have South Korea and Japan as nearby targets, but more likely, they have the option to hand off a weapon to someone even crazier than they are.
That last is the real threat, and the real reason that the US is so concerned about their development of nuclear weapons.

They also have pretty good insurance against invasion by any military force - the North Korean military is widely held to be mostly insane.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

You know, the more i look into this and see it on the news the more it pisses me off. When i talk to people the dont seem to worry about it but i think that one angry man with a trigger finger will 'try' to start world war 3. As for the Poll I believe they will launch it, We will blow it up and then one of two things will happen. Either Obama will not do anything and just give them a "slap on the wrist", or we will declare war. Now if we declare war on North Korea, What do you think will happen? How do you think the alliance system works? If we declare war on them, then who is their ally that will declare war on us? This ally does have a strong hold on our economy by the way. And then where does this leave us?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

China is even more freaked out by all of this than the US is. And they haven't got much better options than we do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

But you would think if they are alot bigger and closer they would do something about it. I understand there are "rules" but come on. There has to be something they could do. What do you think China would do if NK launched their missile?

View PostThe_Programmer-, on 05 April 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I don't know. But the U.S. should still take the threat seriously. That reminds me: Posted Image

And by the way, this is how all this mess started. Failed rockets and attempts but look where it is now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

That's quite a bit of speculative fiction there Mr. Turtledove.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

But you would think if they are alot bigger and closer they would do something about it. I understand there are "rules" but come on. There has to be something they could do.

Such as?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

You mean to tell me that China has no influence on North Korea at all? I dont know either country well and dont know specifics. What I believe is that China, as big as they are, has quite a big effect on NKorea and should start stressing it. I believe NKorea is closely like us in the sense that everything is made in China. China should stress this to them. Maby this "Little Man suffering severe Napolean Complex" would head the warning. Or there is the possibility that i am crazy and should realize he is going to try to bomb us all.

This post has been edited by tpaskell: 05 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

You mean to tell me that China has no influence on North Korea at all?

No, I don't mean that at all. I just don't see any particular leverage that China has on North Korea that would get them to relinquish the thing that they believe - probably correctly - is the only thing keeping that state constituted as it is today.

Frankly, I can't see any reason why China would prefer to have North Korea as it is today - they'd love to have another market, instead they have a hole in the ground that they pour food subsidies into. If there were anything they could do about that, they'd be doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well yes that's true but still as wanting a market I still believe they would want to try and do something. Even as is they have already stated they don't want a united Korea anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »