Threats from North Korea

• (4 Pages)
  • +

48 Replies - 2613 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Poll: What do you think will happen? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think will happen?

1. North Korea will not live up to the threat. (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. North Korea will launch a missile and it will fail. (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. North Korea will launch a missile and the U.S. will destroy it before it reaches the U.S. (7 votes [25.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

4. The missile may hit us. (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

5. Other (reply with what you think will happen) (2 votes [7.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Threats from North Korea

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Well yes that's true but still as wanting a market I still believe they would want to try and do something. Even as is they have already stated they don't want a united Korea anyways.

How did we go from 'nuclear threat against the US' to 'China should do something contradictory to their historical modus operandi and slap north korea' to 'north korea is going to unify with south korea.'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I take this as seriously as I take my 6 year old little brother saying he'll beat me up for turning off the tv when he needs to go to bed... 90% of the time nothing happens, and the other 10% of the time it's a raised eyebrow at the worst.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I think it's fully possible, that a nuclear war is closer than everyone suspects. That's why I've been playing Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. To practice for a post-nuclear war world. At least they still have prostitutes ;) It truly is one of the worlds oldest professions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostLemur, on 05 April 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

I take this as seriously as I take my 6 year old little brother saying he'll beat me up for turning off the tv when he needs to go to bed... 90% of the time nothing happens, and the other 10% of the time it's a raised eyebrow at the worst.

The trick here is to not look at the "omigod they're going to blow up the world" stuff, which is really largely distraction, but to look at the politics of a completely bankrupt and corrupt state which is also as thoroughly totalitarian as any I know of, and gets away with it by holding two populations hostage to their threats.

Suppose North Korea manages to make maximal use of its small arsenal of nuclear weapons in some direct and undeniable fashion - they might devastate several cities. Then what? North Korea is obliterated and the world mourns and resolves "never again" and probably destroys Iran's nuclear programs, possibly destroying Iran in the process, and possibly some weaker nuclear states are disarmed. And the world goes on. Horrible, but the world goes on. (I may be a bad person, but I'm much more horrified by Iain Banks' recent announcement of his impending death than than by the prospect of millions of fairly replaceable people dying a few decades sooner than expected)

Democratic states do not have the luxury of my callous disregard for cities full of people, and so the next decade or two, at least, will be occupied in slowly, painfully, trying to accommodate and contain this rabid dog of a nation. Eventually, democracy will prevail, and the people of North Korea will be free to starve with the rest of the world as we drift into the coming meltdown, and the population crisis solves itself, with a bang or a whimper or both.

The drama will be in watching how the DPRK plays its hand out, and how well the rest of the world responds. Should be interesting to watch. I just feel sorry for the poor fuckers who live there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

man, this thread has me searching for the article about the north korean night club that's been playing the one same album every night for 20 years and for the life of me i cannot find it. my google-fu is weakening.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

tpaskell, technically we can't declare war on North Korea because we are still at war with them. We just signed a cease fire, not a truce.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Can't remember the last declared war that the US took part in... Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Korea was even a declared war, I believe it was a "police action".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 05 April 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Can't remember the last declared war that the US took part in... Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Korea was even a declared war, I believe it was a "police action".

At the time it was called 'Humanitarian Intervention' on the behalf of south korea.

What it really was was the US Secretary of Defense taking advantage of an easy situation to get in south korea's good graces and establish an unofficial official military outpost and listening post. It was also a chance to potentially control the south half of korea due to being dependent on our troops. This is why south korea sometimes defines our presence there as being the cause of a Police State.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 05 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I got your back supersloth.. one hit.

For so long the Taedong Diplo Pyongyang's only nightclub owned just one CD. Then DJ Ian Steadman turned up with a box full of Hot Chip and Talking Heads records and things got messy
I've written before about Pyongyang's only nightclub, the Taedong Diplo. Despite it only having one CD to its name, it's still your best bet for catching Koreans co-mingling with Western music. Unfortunately, this Western music normally involves little more than playing the aforementioned CD (the incessant call of Trance Hits 1993 on loop) or someone sticking on the karaoke edition of the Titanic soundtrack, which North Korean students dig big-time thanks to its frequent showing in Pyongyang's universities as an example of western culture (according to Korean ideology, industrial revolution: good. Leonardo DiCaprio drowning: better).

http://www.guardian....rth-korea-indie

http://www.guardian....ber-north-korea
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

tpaskell, technically we can't declare war on North Korea because we are still at war with them. We just signed a cease fire, not a truce.

That is a very good point. But now that N Korea has lifted the cease fire, aren't we technically at war?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

That is a very good point. But now that N Korea has lifted the cease fire, aren't we technically at war?

About as much at war as we were with Russia, except less so, because the threat of N Korea having missiles that can actually hit us is laughable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

View Postccubed, on 05 April 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

About as much at war as we were with Russia, except less so, because the threat of N Korea having missiles that can actually hit us is laughable.

This is correct. We were never at war with Russia, unless you mean in the sense that we, along with Russia, were at war on Germany during the second world war. And we are not at war with North Korea today, in any sense at all. The ceasefire which the North is making noises about is actually an armistice between the north and the south. And again, the North does not want a war, because they know what happens if a war happens. What they want is to be pacified by various offerings, and it's likely they'll get what they want, at least to some degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

SO if they are not pacified then what? if they have gone this far in their missile program to get things they want then what stops them from launching a missile to get what they want?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well, launching a missile doesn't get them what they want, obviously. This is one of those cases where the weapon is only useful as a threat.

Where does this go? Hard to say. One possible scenario would be that someone high up there is sensible enough to want to back down off of their current situation - the crazy act would then be just a negotiating tactic to arrange for the best possible deal on their part. Another possible scenario is that the generals there figure that pushing the pieces around the board long enough will allow them to die in power, and that's the best outcome they can hope for. I really don't see how anyone would be crazy enough to think that there's a winning play that involves using their nukes, but crazy people are crazy. I'd be willing to bet that it's the possibility of proliferation that keeps people like Kerry and Obama up at night, but really I don't know much more than I've learned from reading the newspapers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Posttpaskell, on 05 April 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

SO if they are not pacified then what? if they have gone this far in their missile program to get things they want then what stops them from launching a missile to get what they want?

It's strange. They appear to like breathing. Odd isn't it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +