Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

66 Replies - 3785 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Poll: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which mobile platform is the trend favoring?

1. Android (23 votes [85.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.19%

2. iOS (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

A couple of years ago, iOS was THE platform to develop for. Today, that's not quite the case. Do you think that with the increasing popularity of android, developers are seeing more potential for profit there than they do on iOS devices?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Seems like the same question as your earlier thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

The thing is Android is pretty much now equally as popular as iOS (I don't have the stats, this is just a guess). Heck, I remember the times when mentioning Android produced either a "huh?" or a "oh, that nerdy phone. Not it's one of the top competitors.

It really doesn't matter what you develop for. I find that both users of Android/iPhone are generally the same (ranging from 16 to 50 some). The thing is though, Android is very cheap to produce on. That would initially be my go-to platform simply because if my app were to be a major flop, not much money would have been lost. But if your app turns out to be mildly/very popular, why not add iOS in and boost your sales? It'd be totally worth it.

Either way you'll never get the profit you're chasing unless you actually delve into and start, either through gathering the funds to hire a developer to make an app, or learning the language itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Watch, in 3 years time, we would be having this same argument with Android vs Windows. This is because no one wanted to develop on iOS, but it was the mobile platform with the oldest, therefore most established marketplace, with the biggest fanbase. Now we have a choice between Android and iOS, and now Android have the bigger fanbase, and as we all know that bigger fanbase = bigger profit margin. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

It's a fact that today Android has become popular than iOS. And in my opinion, if Apple won't anything "revolutionary" (like the release of iPad, for example), iOS will give in more and more positions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

I make literally 5x as much money on Android than IOS. Android all the way, but you cannot forget about IOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

I would disagree. I have released apps and it still appears iOS users are more likely to purchase apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

View Poststackoverflow, on 09 April 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

I would disagree. I have released apps and it still appears iOS users are more likely to purchase apps.

I think that it also depends on the app itself. If this is really a unique and useful app then people will pay for it. However, most Android users tend to look for free alternatives first. If they don't find any then they're going to pay (my opinion, of course).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

POPULAR

bunch of people with personal anecdotal evidence are really swaying me.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Not to mention with development on Android being cheaper, you'll have more free apps. It'll be harder to get people to buy your app when a free version exists that's pretty good. This is just speculation though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

POPULAR

You know, I think you may be looking at it in the wrong way. If you're selling the app, you're already segmenting your market: you're looking to sell to people who are willing to pay for an app. There are many, many people, who are happy to put dollars in your pocket through ad revenue, and there are others who would much prefer to pay some upfront fee and not see the ads. Either way, you pick your market and you sell to them. Instead of trying to get cheapskates to spend money, make the best $X version of your app that you can, and sell it to people who want to spend $X.

By way of analogy, there's really no difference between two different bottles of vodka except the marketing, but there are still people who are happy to spend five or ten times the price if the marketing makes them feel good. If you want to sell premium liquor, you don't compete on price, you pick a price point and compete on story.
Same thing goes in the app market- you pick a price point and you compete with the other products in your price point.

And really, if you can't outcompete someone who makes your product and just gives it away, maybe you should pick another product to make. Again, the liquor store: if someone can make a better product than you and sell it for less money, and you can't tell a better story about your product, then you're in the wrong market. You have to get better, or cheaper, or give people better reasons to choose you - or else get out of that market and do something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 April 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

You know, I think you may be looking at it in the wrong way. If you're selling the app, you're already segmenting your market: you're looking to sell to people who are willing to pay for an app. There are many, many people, who are happy to put dollars in your pocket through ad revenue, and there are others who would much prefer to pay some upfront fee and not see the ads. Either way, you pick your market and you sell to them. Instead of trying to get cheapskates to spend money, make the best $X version of your app that you can, and sell it to people who want to spend $X.

I tried this when I first released my app. It was free with an ad free version for x dollars. I figured it was the way to go, but boy was I wrong. Everyone downloaded the free app, while almost completely ignoring the paid, ad-free version. I then decided to go to a free, limited "lite" version with a full-featured paid version. That worked well. People responded well to paying for the full app functionality. It was definitely a better choice. 7,235 sales later I am happy I went the way I did. I rely on the cheapskates to download the free lite version, find use for the app, then upgrade. My app is an automotive app, so different apps need to be approached different ways. If I released a game, I would definitely do a free with full functionality and ads release along side one with no ads for a small fee.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 April 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

And really, if you can't outcompete someone who makes your product and just gives it away, maybe you should pick another product to make. Again, the liquor store: if someone can make a better product than you and sell it for less money, and you can't tell a better story about your product, then you're in the wrong market. You have to get better, or cheaper, or give people better reasons to choose you - or else get out of that market and do something else.

I have competitors who claim their products are just as good as mine that offer them for free, while I charge $2.99. I outsell them because my search rankings are higher. My reviews are also higher as well, which is probably telling me that their free offerings aren't as good, even though they appear to be via their product listings...

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 09 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 09 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Not to mention with development on Android being cheaper,,,,

How do you figure that? Android fragmentation is a real issue, and it's developers who have to deal with it. Develop for the latest IOS and you hit most IOS users. You can't do that with Android, and multiple versions == more development time and money.

Another big problem with Android is it's a race to the bottom: most Android users have it because it came on the phone they got for free when the salesperson sold them a contract. They're not likely to buy anything.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 10 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Am I being naive, but if you develop an app in either Android or iOS, and you experience a bit of success with it, wouldn't you want to port it (eventually) to the other os? Perhaps there are legal or copyright issues that make this difficult?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 10 April 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 09 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Not to mention with development on Android being cheaper,,,,

How do you figure that? Android fragmentation is a real issue, and it's developers who have to deal with it. Develop for the latest IOS and you hit most IOS users. You can't do that with Android, and multiple versions == more development time and money.

Another big problem with Android is it's a race to the bottom: most Android users have it because it came on the phone they got for free when the salesperson sold them a contract. They're not likely to buy anything.

Fragmentation its blown completely out of proportion. Screen compatibility features handle 95% of issues. the only thing I had to do was create one layout for phones, and another for tablets. This covers me on resolutions from 320x240 through 1920x1080. Hardware fragmentation its no different than on ios or the PC.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »