Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

66 Replies - 4066 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Poll: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which mobile platform is the trend favoring?

1. Android (23 votes [85.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.19%

2. iOS (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

the fragmentation thing is so dumb. can you imagine how a person would get laughed out of a developers conference if they started complaining a program wouldn't install on their windows 95 computer? computers have minimum specs. phones are computers. upgrade or shut up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#17 creativecoding  Icon User is online

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 10 April 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

View Postcreativecoding, on 09 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Not to mention with development on Android being cheaper,,,,

How do you figure that? Android fragmentation is a real issue, and it's developers who have to deal with it. Develop for the latest IOS and you hit most IOS users. You can't do that with Android, and multiple versions == more development time and money.

Another big problem with Android is it's a race to the bottom: most Android users have it because it came on the phone they got for free when the salesperson sold them a contract. They're not likely to buy anything.

Android has a one-time $25 entry fee, and they take 30% royalties.

And iOS requires you to own and develop on a Mac plus they want a minimum of $99/year, and then they take 30% royalties.

I don't think fragmentation issues will cost you more than a Mac and $100/year worth of your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

So you don't think fragmentation is a real issue. Time will tell.
No one has answered the spending issue though.If most Android users are getting it because it's cheap you can't expect them to be willing to pay for your app!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 17 April 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

No one has answered the spending issue though.If most Android users are getting it because it's cheap you can't expect them to be willing to pay for your app!

Time will tell? It's been 5 years. "Fragmentation" is over with. There is no issue. As for sales, I sell 5x more on Android than Iphone. I know Rovio makes more with advertising on both iphone and android with angry birds than it does with sales. There is a sales gap, but it looks like it is closing. I think the Iphone still has the most market share in the U.S., and I am willing to bet that most app sales come from the U.S.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 18 April 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

I think the Iphone still has the most market share in the U.S., and I am willing to bet that most app sales come from the U.S.

From the reports I've been seeing the last few months, that is not accurate. Android is leading the market share with iOS trailing considerably behind. That gap will also be considerably larger for the rest of the world.

I also wouldn't assume app sales are mostly from the US. It wouldn't surprise me if iOS app sales are largely from the US, but consider that Android's main device manufacturer, Samsung, is South-Korean, and Android is apparently huge in China. (Though I'm not sure if the Chinese are actually allowed to use the normal Google Play market.) You also shouldn't forget about us Europeans. Smartphones aren't any less popular here than in the US or Asia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 18 April 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

View PostCTphpnwb, on 17 April 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Time will tell? It's been 5 years. "Fragmentation" is over with. There is no issue. As for sales, I sell 5x more on Android than Iphone. I know Rovio makes more with advertising on both iphone and android with angry birds than it does with sales. There is a sales gap, but it looks like it is closing. I think the Iphone still has the most market share in the U.S., and I am willing to bet that most app sales come from the U.S.

You're just one piece of anecdotal evidence. The fact is that most of the money is spent on iPhone apps, not Android. And 5 years is a short time frame. It's taken nearly 30 years to get to the point where PC makers like Dell and HP are actively looking for ways to get out of the business because there is no money to be made. That's the route Android is following, only at a faster pace. The Android market is likely to look like the current PC market (dismal, except for Macs) in another 5 to 10 years. Maybe less, because already the only Android phone manufacturer that makes any significant profit is Samsung, and they do it with a massive marketing budget that is larger than that of Apple and several other Android maker's budgets combined. If they weren't successful selling all manner of other appliances they wouldn't be able to do that because: there's not enough profit in making Android phones!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 18 April 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

And 5 years is a short time frame.

Aaaand I think we can leave it there, right? I mean, you could argue with this guy... but given this statement, do you really think it's worth the bother?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Riiiight. Let's think about the here and now and ignore the future. We won't ever have to deal with it, right?
Here's the present:
http://techland.time...ios-vs-android/

Who’s making money from app downloads?

According to Canalys’s data for the first quarter of this year, iOS users are spending much more on apps even if they’re downloading fewer of them overall.

The graphic:

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Does that include ad revenue? That article only seems to consider revenue made from direct sales of apps, not other income sources.

iOS developers may get away with charging more for apps than Android developers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that iOS apps are more profitable to the developers. In my experience, Android apps seem far more likely to be free with an ad based income model supporting it. (Often with a "premium" ad-free version for those willing to pay.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ad based apps are great if you happen to be Google. If not, you're just developing a revenue stream for them. You're certainly not developing a loyal customer base.

I think the idea that some developers "get away" with charging more is silly. Phone apps are cheap, and that's not a good thing. The cheaper products and services get the worse off we all are, since it means lower income for people that produce things. A race to the bottom benefits very few people, and only for a short time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 18 April 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

Ad based apps are great if you happen to be Google. If not, you're just developing a revenue stream for them.

How do you figure? The app developers do get income from ads, not just the ad provider service. - And of course Google gets something out of the deal. That's kind of why they bother doing the whole advertisement thing it in the first place. It's a win-win[-win] situation, not some con Google is playing on app developers.

You're certainly not developing a loyal customer base.

Based on what? That the apps shows you ads? That's ridiculous. - Some of the most useful apps I have are free and ad based, and I'm more than happy with that arrangement.

I think the idea that some developers "get away" with charging more is silly.

It's not wrong, though. iOS users seem to be willing to pay more for apps than Android users, and thus the iOS developers "get away" with charging more. If the developers of payed-for Android apps through they could get away with charging user more, they no doubt would. - Whether or not this is good or bad for app development in general I wouldn't speculate on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

It all comes down to what is a good business model. Here's what the two OS's do for hardware makers in terms of profit. The software side isn't really that much different. IOS developers are making money and hedging their bets with Android apps, in case that ever becomes profitable. Like I said before though, this seems to be a repeat of the PC business where we saw companies like DEC, Wang, and Compaq go the way of the Dodo, and now HP and Dell (market "leaders") want out. That doesn't seem like a good model to me.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

it doesn't really seem unrealistic that apple would make more off their own os since they are the only ones who have it and have full control over and don't license it. what point is that chart proving again? wasn't the conversation about the profits developers make off apps not what phone makers make off operating systems?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Oh Android <3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

I forgot who typed it, but I do think that the whole app market is starting to balance out. I mean, when you both sell the exact same apps to basically the same group of people, you are going to find a happy medium at some point down the line, and I think we all knew that IOS could not hold dominion over the realm of apps for very long, you know?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »