Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

• (5 Pages)
  • +

66 Replies - 4102 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Poll: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which mobile platform is the trend favoring?

1. Android (23 votes [85.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.19%

2. iOS (4 votes [14.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Android overtaking iOS? - Developers leaving iOS?

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 19 April 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

it doesn't really seem unrealistic that apple would make more off their own os since they are the only ones who have it and have full control over and don't license it. what point is that chart proving again? wasn't the conversation about the profits developers make off apps not what phone makers make off operating systems?

You're looking at the wrong post. See #23? IOS download revenue is nearly 4X that of Android. That means that for every developer who claims that they're making more on Android sales there must be a great many who are making much more on IOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 24 April 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

You're looking at the wrong post. See #23? IOS download revenue is nearly 4X that of Android. That means that for every developer who claims that they're making more on Android sales there must be a great many who are making much more on IOS.

Why is it so important to you to be right on this one? And if everyone just agrees to let you be right, would that make you happy?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Android has a long way to go before it overtakes iOS, otherwise all the cool games wouldn't be out on iOS first.

Just saying...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Fair point Spike, but it's gonna happen at some point. Nobody is allowed to have their own niche anywhere. There has to be someone competing, just to knock off prices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that apple will rule the market forever.
Cracks are already appearing and with each generation supposedly becoming more tech savvy (and poorer) than the last, their days are numbered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

And that, is a fact. XD

This post has been edited by Cheribasa: 24 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, 100% fact, by some guy on some forum :scooter:

This post has been edited by SpikeSpiegel: 24 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

This is more than just some any old forum. It's one of the biggest forums I have ever been on. (only bigger that I have seen was the Minecraft Forums.) :w00t:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostSpikeSpiegel, on 24 April 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that apple will rule the market forever.

Of course not. First they dominated the mp3 players with the iPod. As that reached its zenith they came out with the iPhone. Now the iPad is skyrocketing as the iPone begins to level off, having reached most high end users.

Their end game is to have the only complete, self contained, end to end ecosystem where everything just works, and in the way their users expect it to. The rest will have to compete on check boxing "features" that the iSomething doesn't have and/or price. So far no one seems ready (or even to be preparing) to challenge them on that level.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Their end game is to have the only complete, self contained, end to end ecosystem where everything just works

So... If my car is made of cardboard, all of my keys are made of cardboard, and my computer is made of cardboard, they're somehow better products than their metal and silicon counterparts, because they miraculously fit together? Or are you saying that Apple makes it money off of collectors? Sentimental value isn't going to make your products function more efficiently. In a free market, each product should be judged on its own merits.

---

I'm a newb, developing my first app for Android (a game), it's in the final weeks of development, and based on the evidence I believe I made the right choice.

I think that, with all things being equal, people would gravitate towards Android. iOS has enjoyed an ignorant market this-far, convincing people that their products are new and exciting (they invented the tablet and the MP3 player, duh). It's an unsustainable business model, and eventually people will realise that there are more possibilities with Android (which is developed by a company that is actually innovative).

This post has been edited by Gungnir: 01 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostGungnir, on 01 May 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

eventually people will realise that there are more possibilities with Android (which is developed by a company that is buys companies that are actually innovative).

FTFY...

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 01 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostGungnir, on 01 May 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Their end game is to have the only complete, self contained, end to end ecosystem where everything just works

So... If my car is made of cardboard, all of my keys are made of cardboard, and my computer is made of cardboard, they're somehow better products than their metal and silicon counterparts, because they miraculously fit together? Or are you saying that Apple makes it money off of collectors? Sentimental value isn't going to make your products function more efficiently. In a free market, each product should be judged on its own merits.

Huh? The iPhone build quality is far above most if not all Android phones. The software is better too! For example, only with the most recent Android phones has the jitter started to go away, and that's only because the hardware is finally fast enough to hide the flaws in the software!

View PostGungnir, on 01 May 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

I'm a newb, developing my first app for Android (a game), it's in the final weeks of development, and based on the evidence I believe I made the right choice.

I think that, with all things being equal, people would gravitate towards Android. iOS has enjoyed an ignorant market this-far, convincing people that their products are new and exciting (they invented the tablet and the MP3 player, duh). It's an unsustainable business model, and eventually people will realise that there are more possibilities with Android (which is developed by a company that is actually innovative).

Quite the opposite. It's ignorance that leads most Android owners to buy one: they just want a phone and they buy the one the salesperson sells them. That's an Android because the salesperson makes more money on it. There are good reasons to avoid Android as a user. Privacy is a big one. For lots of people, Google tracks them too much even without an Android phone. That's Google's major innovation and it isn't good for users. Why pay to make it worse?

Security is another reason to avoid Android. Sure, if they're careful Android users can avoid viruses, but they aren't careful and never will be. But let's assume that viruses will be eliminated on Android soon. Yeah! Users are fine! What about developers? Pirating software is a big problem. If your game is successful you'll have the pleasure of seeing it repackaged and sold under other names or even the same name. That'll cut into your bottom line quickly.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 01 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Tell me something, how does one get self-righteous about smartphones?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

Since I'm clearly in the minority here, I'll assume that's aimed at me. Personally, I find it odd that there is this "cult of Android" since I find it neither open nor innovative and frankly, just plain bad business.

If I were to sum up today's economic problems in one word I'd use "cheap." That's what Android is, and cheap/free is not a good thing. It's leads to a vicious cycle of cost cutting and lower spending that is an economic disaster for most while benefiting a very small number of people who are already very well off.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

There are several claims there:

1. Android is not open
2. Android is not innovative
3. Android is too cheap.

Any of these can be true or false, independent of the others.

# 1 and 2 are pretty vague. What do you want to mean by "open" and "innovative" here - and why should they matter? Is Apple open or innovative in the sense you want to mean?

Certainly if you want to claim that iOS is a better platform for developers, and you think that these things matter, then you'd want to claim that Apple beats android on these. Can you substantiate that?

#3 is an interesting one. It's certainly true that our economy has not learned how to deal effectively with the post-industrial age, and that it's that (not Bush or Obama or anything else) that's causing the recession we're in now. Or, as I like to say, "efficiency and productivity are our biggest problems - once we have those licked, this country will be back on track."

But from the developer's point of view, if you want to be able to monetize your work, then perhaps cheap is a good thing. It means more users, which means more pockets to dip into. Perhaps there's less to get out of each pocket, but there's math to be done there.

I would suggest that the whole argument is a little stupid. You develop a product on one platform, using the model that best works for you on that platform. If it works, you port it to the other platform, and you try to make money on it there. Seems simple. If you don't like writing Java, you write Objective-C and find a partner to do the Java part, or widdershins likewise if the reverse.

What's the issue, anyway?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +