6 Replies - 2881 Views - Last Post: 16 October 2007 - 05:53 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why to use Cold Fusion?

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hi

I am new to Cold Fusion. I`ve recently received a handy videotutorial demonstrating how to build up a data driven page using Dreamweaver and ColdFusion. The tutorial is provided by Lynda.com and they refer to ColdFusion as the easiest option among ASP, PHP and other similar languages.

I gave PHP a try the other day and found it extremely hard, an endless list of functions, long and technical articles led me to trying something else. [ColdFusion]

It seems ok to me since it is a tag-based language. The only thing I am concerned about is the popularity of ColdFusion as most developers are basically married to PHP.

so my question is: is there any profit to be gained from learning ColdFusion, what are the pros and cons? Is ColdFusion gonna make my life a lot easier since i have no real experience of programming?

any advise as well as good material sources will be very much appreciated

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why to use Cold Fusion?

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why to use Cold Fusion?

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

Learn an actual "language" like PHP, ASP, or Perl... even Ruby... then pick up ColdFusion. ColdFusion won't teach you to program.

This is coming from someone who programs ColdFusion every day for a living. I however learned PHP before I learned ColdFusion and I can honestly say that without that knowledge, I would not be nearly as good with ColdFusion and I'd also never feel like I could make the leap to another language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 16 Aug, 2007 - 03:24 PM, said:

Learn an actual "language" like PHP, ASP, or Perl... even Ruby... then pick up ColdFusion. ColdFusion won't teach you to program.

This is coming from someone who programs ColdFusion every day for a living. I however learned PHP before I learned ColdFusion and I can honestly say that without that knowledge, I would not be nearly as good with ColdFusion and I'd also never feel like I could make the leap to another language.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looks like I am gonna have to get myself a good php tutor, then. Honestly speaking, I am really afraid of returning to PHP. As i said, I`d found it extremely difficult, all those loops, complex functions, "code refactoring" did not make any sense to me.

I`d better start off exploring MySql first cause I only know four basic commands ::)))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

What do you want to do long term? Make web pages? program applications? what's your goal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

I agree with you, I started off using PHP and found it extremely confusing. One of the things I love about ColdFusion is how it will build flash forms for you. You can have forms that are very pleasing to the eye by only adding a few more characters to your tag.

Skyhawk is right though, There are certain programming concepts that are consistant throughout languages (not the tags, but the logic you follow to program).

Personally I just found it much more difficult to PHP because you have to switch back and forth from tags to scripts and escape characters etc.

Basically, there are a lot of ColdFusion functions that will write code for you. When I first started I wondered the same thing - Why isn't there more out there about ColdFusion?

If you are looking for a reference / tutorial, I went from ground zero to building web applications using only the "ColdFusion Web Application Construction Kit" by Ben Forta. DEFINATELY worth the $55.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

Good info dswens, I've got that book and have referenced it often.

Welcome to dream.in.code!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Hello. First I'll introduce myself. I'm Adrian, I've study programming in Argentina in 1993 but at the beginning since it was hard to find a job without experience I started working as technical support, which was actually a mistake, 13 years down the road (today) I understood that taking a different job took me away from what was always my real passion. So I quit my job and decided to re-start my career.

1) Why I chose CF: PHP is more popular and available to anyone and that's why there are thousands of programmers doing PHP. So it's easy to find a programmer but not too easy to find a good job since there are so many people after the same job.

2) Learning PHP: I had the same issue as you, but I realized that it also had to do with my lack of HTML and CSS knowledge, since without those you can't code in PHP for web.........

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Adrian.

View Postskyhawk133, on 16 Oct, 2007 - 08:24 AM, said:

Good info dswens, I've got that book and have referenced it often.

Welcome to dream.in.code!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1