2 Replies - 604 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Intro- coding with training wheels

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Greets,

I'm new to the site and programming. I was a Army Flight medic for a long time till I decided to pursue a degree in programming, right now my A.S. is in Web Development but my B.S. will be in Computer Science... It's definitely a different world completely. So far my programming has been limited to Java, and javascript but I guess you have to start somewhere. When I was in the army I learned that a large portion of my job was all muscle memory, and while I still only in the first semester of my programming classes I find myself constantly looking for examples on how statements are written. Is this something that comes over time and a good chunk is in fact muscle memory, or is this not normal.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Intro- coding with training wheels

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intro- coding with training wheels

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code ToxicXistence! Well it is much like any language, the more you use it the more natural it comes. Do you actually believe you have to remember the word "hello" or does it just flow off your tongue when needed? Having said that, there are always going to be times where you will need to look up a function and some of its parameters. There is just too much out there to remember it all. Even if you have been in a language for years, the language is constantly evolving and things are changing. So don't feel that you are slow or something for having to look up things from time to time.

As you become more experienced you will find that you have to look up things less and less, but you will always need to look things up on occasion. Just the nature of the beast.

But that is what boards like this are for also. A source of help and a resource for solving problems using functions or classes you might not yet be familiar with. Hope you enjoy the forum! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Intro- coding with training wheels

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks, I was starting to get self conscious, Keep in mind we just covered for while loops. There is so much I want to do and code but I think my hands are trying to work harder than my mind can formulate it. Being new to this field makes it hard to judge what normal is :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1