13 Replies - 288 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2013 - 06:46 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What need to know for this?

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hello, I want to create a multiplayer browser game. Game wouldn't be very special, simple 2D, but I think it would be popular. Controling arrows and maybe some other few buttons. I want to make system, when player logs in and he wants to play, he need to connect to other servers from the list or create his own. But I don't understand how that all should work. Do I need to have server for those rooms? What I need to know for creating this type of game? I have basic Java knowledge, maybe a little bit more than basic, I have created some simple 2D games for pc. So, please give me some information, what I need to know.

This post has been edited by novakasss: 08 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What need to know for this?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What need to know for this?

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hello, I want to create a multiplayer browser game. Game wouldn't be very special, simple 2D, but I think it would be popular. Controling arrows and maybe some other few buttons.

Heh.. that's what they *ALL* say.

I want to make system, when player logs in and he wants to play, he need to connect to other servers from the list or create his own.

Okay so what constitutes a 'server'? Why would there be a need for more than one server let alone multiple? Are you hosting these all, or can people run them from their local machines? Do you plan on releasing some sort of 'server code' for people? How about an on going support plan for people's varied systems?

But I don't understand how that all should work. Do I need to have server for those rooms?

Woah.. rooms? What are their relation to a server?

What I need to know for creating this type of game? I have basic Java knowledge, maybe a little bit more than basic, I have created some simple 2D games for pc. So, please give me some information, what I need to know.

You need to be more specific in what the game is doing and what your plan is.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Check out our pinned threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hello, I want to create a multiplayer browser game. Game wouldn't be very special, simple 2D, but I think it would be popular. Controling arrows and maybe some other few buttons.

Heh.. that's what they *ALL* say.

I want to make system, when player logs in and he wants to play, he need to connect to other servers from the list or create his own.

Okay so what constitutes a 'server'? Why would there be a need for more than one server let alone multiple? Are you hosting these all, or can people run them from their local machines? Do you plan on releasing some sort of 'server code' for people? How about an on going support plan for people's varied systems?

I don't know correct answer, thats why im asking, pretty much how these type of games works. I can give u some examples :
haxball.com curvefever.com
User register, then logs in, he is automatically linked to the public rooms page. where he chooses where to play. then he connects to the game room and plays there. He can leave rooms, create their own. Thats what type of game I'm talking about. And Im asking u what knowledge I need to master for this, I'm only know Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 08 April 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Check out our pinned threads.

Thanks for this link. But it still doesn't answer to my question. How works that game room system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

I don't know correct answer, thats why im asking, pretty much how these type of games works. I can give u some examples :
haxball.com curvefever.com
User register, then logs in, he is automatically linked to the public rooms page. where he chooses where to play. then he connects to the game room and plays there. He can leave rooms, create their own. Thats what type of game I'm talking about. And Im asking u what knowledge I need to master for this, I'm only know Java.

Okay.. so chat rooms are not servers, right?

If you are making this webpage based then you need to decide on language used and so on. If you are all about java applets then fine.. cool.. go read up on sockets and tcp/ip connections. Well, technically, that is required by most directions you would go with. For example Flash.

What I would suggest is to sit down and write out, by hand, all the core functionality you think you'll need. Game states, player interactions, etc. Then stetch, walk around, and sit back down to read up on the sockets and tcp/ip. Determine your language of choice's ability to send commands to a server to deciminate, predictive (client side) movements, etc.

How works that game room system.

I don't know what you mean by 'game room'. Do you mean 'chat room'?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

[quote name='modi123_1' date='08 April 2013 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1365439331' post='1833231']

How works that game room system.

I don't know what you mean by 'game room'. Do you mean 'chat room'?

Maybe, but instead of chating, users gonna go there, for example when there is 8 players on each team, the administrator of the game room(user who created room) gonna start the game, which takes all players to the game screen.
Come on, u guys also play games sometimes, these types of games nowdays are very popular. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Well you are explaining this poorly. First it was servers.. then some sort of chatroom.. and now game rooms..

Sure.. I've seen chat rooms or lobbies before a multiplayer game.. TF2 has a few.. is that it?
http://img.gawkerass...pg/original.jpg
http://wiki.teamfort...per_Console.png
http://stevenbenner....ver_browser.png
http://www.tfportal..../news/Lobby.JPG
http://img543.images...828/lobbies.png

As for those two games you mentioned - no, I have never heard of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 April 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Well you are explaining this poorly. First it was servers.. then some sort of chatroom.. and now game rooms..

Sure.. I've seen chat rooms or lobbies before a multiplayer game.. TF2 has a few.. is that it?
http://img.gawkerass...pg/original.jpg
http://wiki.teamfort...per_Console.png
http://stevenbenner....ver_browser.png
http://www.tfportal..../news/Lobby.JPG
http://img543.images...828/lobbies.png

As for those two games you mentioned - no, I have never heard of them.

I don't remember where I was talking about chat rooms. If u don't know those two games, just go there, they don't need no downloading or smth like that, and u will see what I'm talking about.
Those two last screens is the same as I think. One shows those all rooms or lobbies. And the other screen is the actual lobby or game room.

This post has been edited by novakasss: 08 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sorry - I am not going to burn more time trying to look at a site some random site, and then try to extrapolate your meaning from it.

Gotta be able to explain what you want to effectively communicate with folks for help, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 April 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Sorry - I am not going to burn more time trying to look at a site some random site, and then try to extrapolate your meaning from it.

Gotta be able to explain what you want to effectively communicate with folks for help, right?

Ok, I'm gonna try to explain with all details.
I'm going to buy a host (you know, virtual place for website).
There I'm gonna create my multiplayer game website. It includes "Articles" and Registration/Login system.
So, user registers to the system(his information stored in Mysql DB) and then he can start playing.
He presses the "PLAY" button, if he is logged in, he is redirected to the page, where there are listed all game rooms(lobbies, I don't know how to call them correctly). He can choose where to play, then he press on the game room's link and then he is redirected to that game room.
That game room is the place where players went for playing. For example my game needs to have 8 players to be started. So when 8 players come to the same game room, administrator can start the game. Then all players are redirected to the game screen and play.

That's how I imagine the system. I imagine how to make that game room, actual game, registration, actual website. But I can't imagine how works that system with rooms. Where are they stored after creation? How to make them stored somewhere?

P.s you said, that u will burn some time while watching those "random" websites. But I would ask you "Are you not burning your time while trying to discover what I'm talking about. If you would watch those websites, you wouldn't need spend time reading this post, writing answer, you would know the answer".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ok, I'm gonna try to explain with all details.
I'm going to buy a host (you know, virtual place for website).
There I'm gonna create my multiplayer game website. It includes "Articles" and Registration/Login system.

Okay - so basic website. Gotcha.

So, user registers to the system(his information stored in Mysql DB) and then he can start playing.
He presses the "PLAY" button, if he is logged in, he is redirected to the page, where there are listed all game rooms(lobbies, I don't know how to call them correctly). He can choose where to play, then he press on the game room's link and then he is redirected to that game room.
That game room is the place where players went for playing. For example my game needs to have 8 players to be started. So when 8 players come to the same game room, administrator can start the game. Then all players are redirected to the game screen and play.

Basic multiplayer game lobby. Gotcha.

http://www.packtpub....nt-introduction
http://buildnewgames...me-multiplayer/

That's how I imagine the system. I imagine how to make that game room, actual game, registration, actual website. But I can't imagine how works that system with rooms. Where are they stored after creation? How to make them stored somewhere?

See the links above.

P.s you said, that u will burn some time while watching those "random" websites. But I would ask you "Are you not burning your time while trying to discover what I'm talking about. If you would watch those websites, you wouldn't need spend time reading this post, writing answer, you would know the answer".

No - hell I may be worse off. I have no idea what features you are interested in, looking at, increase importance of, etc when I look at that random site. I may find a feature important to me, and jam here about it - but it may turn up to not be the same for you. If I stay the course have try to figure out how to get you to communicate more descriptively and effectively which in turn makes future interactions with me, your neighbor, or the hula girl on the beach better and thus paying it forward.

Plus trying to analyze some other website to figure out what content you are interested about crosses my threshold of 'caring'... which is dramatically lowered as explanations become more drawn out and/or obtuse.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the links. Finally u understood me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Why don't you look for team projects? So many want to make games like this - it's nothing new at all!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1