5 Replies - 324 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2013 - 12:24 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to Start.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hey there. I am new to the idea of programming. I have dived into C++ a little, and I grasp it, I think it just requires repetition. Repetition is the father of learning, Repetition is the father of learning...

In any case. I have it all on paper. Graph Paper to be specific, a top down game. I would say it is like the Overhead view Zelda games. Not to compare it with the game.

I know how I want the game to work. It may change once I get into it, but I have an idea of all the mechanics. Everything is written and ready, the characters, health system, items, weapons, enemies, bosses, boss fights, NPCs its done. Done on paper that is. Colored in, art, so on. it is done.

I just do not know where to start at all. What engine to use, where to get it, do I scan it on my PC and put it on an engine? is there a friendly engine that will be easy to work with on my own?

I have been putting this on paper for that past few years, and I finally had some free time and finished it. My end goal is to get this on PC, Mac, maybe consoles such as PSN or XBLA. I don't really care about making money, I would just love to see my game created, playable, and the only way I see it happening is if I do it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to Start.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to Start.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I just do not know where to start at all. What engine to use,

Depends on what platform(s) you are shooting for. Do you really want to write code or is a more drag and drop up your angle?

http://store.steampo....com/app/214850
http://store.steampo...com/app/220700/
http://store.steampo...com/app/227240/

where to get it,

Typically a website.

do I scan it on my PC and put it on an engine?

I have no idea what this means.

is there a friendly engine that will be easy to work with on my own?

Plenty of engines and what not.. it all depends with your level of programming knowledge. I fear with a base cursory glance they all may be pretty rough on you.

See the pinned threads in this forum.
See the innumerable "where do I start" threads in this forum.

I have been putting this on paper for that past few years, and I finally had some free time and finished it. My end goal is to get this on PC, Mac, maybe consoles such as PSN or XBLA.

Well finding something that can be cross compiled should be factored into it all.

I don't really care about making money, I would just love to see my game created, playable, and the only way I see it happening is if I do it.

Sure.. but you do know some systems, environments, etc require you to pay to be able to submit the game/project to them to host on their store, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 April 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

do I scan it on my PC and put it on an engine?

I have no idea what this means.

Scanning a document on to your PC using a scanner. I have everything on Paper. I could go as far as cutting out the characters and placing them on my maps, and move them around and reenact my game.

My concern is that, will I have to recreate everything I made on Paper on the PC or will I beable to take my maps and characters, and items and so on and Scan them on to my computer and use it in creation.

I appreciate the reply. I will be looking over the rest of the forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Then yes.. if you have artwork you want to add to the game you would need to scan them into your machine and add them as 'sprites' in the game. You can recreate them as well - or use them as is. Gimp, photoshop, paint.net, etc can help with the art portion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Sweet. This helps a lot. again, i appreciate it. I looked over the engines you linked and they look interesting. Lol I have been working on this for years in my spare time. I feel like it will be another 4 years to make it lol. this is definitely a push in the direction I need.

Thanks modi.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing more on the art work and game concepts.. (nosey nelly like that) If you want you can shoot me a PM when ever..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1