10 Replies - 1866 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How useful would a convertible laptop be for college?

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'm planning on studying computer science in college and I was wondering if it would be worth getting a cheap (as possible) convertible laptop to take notes on. I'm bringing my desktop with me so I won't need high specs on the laptop. The main thing I think I'll be using the tablet mode for is drawing diagrams, doing math, etc. in class. I will be typing notes in laptop mode whenever possible.

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How useful would a convertible laptop be for college?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How useful would a convertible laptop be for college?

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have a tablet convertible. The college of engineering required it; and for the specs, it wasn't a bad deal. I occasionally use the tablet feature for a couple graphs for econ. I do all of my math using a LaTex editor now, so the tablet feature is irrelevant. If you're in engineering, art or architecture, it's really useful and nice to have. I wouldn't blow extra money on it though.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Call me a luddite but I think you are better off with pen and paper. Not only is it great for taking notes but you can screw it up into balls, make paper aeroplanes, pass notes in class and when college is all over you can make a bonfire. What's not to love?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I have decided to buy a convertible laptop because I am also consdiering computer engineering if computer science doesn't work out. Also because I found a really great deal on a manufacture refurbished HP 2760p.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Oh, go on. Be honest and tell yourself you just wanted a cool toy. ;) It's OK to want a cool toy.

I hope it works out for you. The great thing about cool toys is you want to play with them. I find that I get more done if my todo list is on some gadget than if it is on paper. Maybe you'll spend time formatting your notes or neatening diagrams and by doing so reinforce the lecture material.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I still do all my math on large legal pads.

I just can't replicate the stuff I can do with pencil and paper...

There's nothing the computer offers me that I can't do myself. The only thing I usually even keep a calculator around for is logs, trig functions, and other arithmetic processes that are just too large to bother doing in my head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'm also a pencil-and-paper guy when it comes to taking notes. The act of writing it down is a huge part of remembering for me. I rarely find I have to look at the notes later on, but if I don't write it down, I can't remember much at all.

The LiveScribe pens seem like they might be fun, but I'm a little bothered by some aspects of the design. Next time I feel like there's $100 burning a hole in my pocket, maybe I'll give it a shot.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Same here.

I have the added issue of being a cheap ass.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on a delicate device that if I lose or break I'm out a bunch of money.

Paper and pencil though? I can pull that shit out of my ass. If I lost it, who cares, it's paper. I can throw it, fold it up and put it in my pocket, leave it behind and come back for it later (who steals notes?). And if I forget it, so what, when I get there I can just grab some new paper and pencil. Especially in an academic realm, they're just laying around everywhere.

Furthermore I think in images and numbers. I have a visual flair to how I'll write something down that translates to something in my head better than words ever would. It's actually why I'm so verbose in digital text (like here on the forums), I don't know how to articulate what I am thinking, so I just go and go and go. Quite literally my images have short little phrases attached to them, and I just string them together, hoping people will understand my words. It's funny, it's actually why I say some odd things at times... like "do do" or "the the", it's because the image in my head ended with the same word as the next image starts with and I don't remove it as I'm typing or speaking to fast.

Where as if I was hand writing it, it turns into a single word, with specific letters capitalized or scribbled oddly, and maybe a small image drawn next to it. You should see my notebooks, it'd make a doctor blush about their own penmanship.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 10 April 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Paper and pencil though? I can pull that shit out of my ass.

This is a great way to keep people from running off with your pencils, too .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Except for those damn fecalpheliacs... ugh, just following me around the court yard all the time, hoping I drop another pencil.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Typing notes has never worked for me, and I have always despised people clunking away at there keyboard while I am trying to pay attention. If your going to major in computer science, invest in a higher performance laptop without wasting your money on gimmicks. I found that I rarely use my Desktop computer at home and do most of my work on my laptop in the school labs.

Those are just my two cents, everyone has there own opinion on the topic.

Paper and pencil though? I can pull that shit out of my ass.

It's a hell of a way to claim what's yours though, brilliant.

This post has been edited by jjl: 18 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1