1 Replies - 1221 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

BSc Applied Math & CS <VS> BSc IT and CS (software enginee

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi, I'll try and make this short and simple (for the sake of clarity), and would appreciate any help/feedback at all.

Just some extra info:

---- currently ----
Education: High School
Career: <none> (odd jobs)

---- want ----
Education: BSc CS
Career: In Software Development/Software Engineering
By age: <asap>

Given my age, which I am honestly worried about, my lack of a stable prior job history which I'm also worried about, what are my chances of setting up a career in software development, after I get my degree? (mainly, if I achieve anything other than "spectacular", do I stand much of a chance?).

Primary Question:

I have narrowed my selection down to two options for a degree course but I would prefer the first one below.
Applied Mathematics and Computer Science Stream

Information Technology and Computer Science: Software Engineering Stream

For a someone looking to get a career as a software developer, with aspirations for software engineering later (which I believe are not the same thing), is the first option a good one or should I be looking at the second?

Any other info/insight related to these two degrees and Software Engineering in general are welcome.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: BSc Applied Math & CS <VS> BSc IT and CS (software enginee

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: BSc Applied Math & CS <VS> BSc IT and CS (software enginee

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

The first one looks more intense than the second, and it has a lot of relevant programming experience. If that's the one you're more interested in, that's the one I'd go for. In terms of jobs, you should focus on making sure you learn the skills in class well, and that you do programming on your free time (and document it with a portfolio). Employers are interested in experience and aptitude.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1