why is ASP/VB.NET & C# so popular?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2484 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

why is ASP/VB.NET & C# so popular?

Post icon  Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

First off, my main prog language is C++... So I'm on my way home to Canada in a few weeks (living in London right now), and I was looking over the jobs listed on monster. Most of the software development jobs where for C# and ASP/VB.NET coders. Now I've taken a few courses on ASP/VB.NET and tinkered around with C# in the past. From what I saw ASP/VB.NET is alright but not as powerful as C++. C# is a little better, but still C++ seems to be a better high level language to me.

My questions is why is ASP/VB.NET & C# so popular? Is it that ASP works well with databases? (SQL)? I'm just curious and thinking maybe I need to buckle down over the next few weeks and read through another few ASP/VB and C# books if I want a job in my area of the world.

PS: the only C++ jobs I found where gaming positions, which I would love, but I'm most likely underqualified and won't keep my hopes up.

PSS: sorry if this is wrong forum.

thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: why is ASP/VB.NET & C# so popular?

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: why is ASP/VB.NET & C# so popular?

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

BrainStew,

Well for starters ASP.Net with either C# or VB.Net is Object Oriented Programming for the web, very powerful language with one glaring shortfall, (which is being worked on and Mono helps with that) its platform dependent, and the runtime has to be installed for a desktop application to run.

C# is nice as it gives you a lot of the power of C++ without all the technical difficulties, VB..Net is nice because its finally Object Oriented. VB.Net 8 will be way more like C#, strongly typed, more Object Oriented and such.

Both are popular as they offer a much higher turnaround time as far as deployment than does C/C++.

In my opinion, if you want to continue to be a Windows Developer you should learn .Net (C# for you since you come from a C++ background) as I really think its the wave of the future, especially with all the changes Microsoft has in the pipes. I'm not saying C++ is going the way of the dinosaur, but companies today are looking for powerful applications with a quick deployment time, .Net offers that.

Thats my 2 cents :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:17 AM

Makes sense. I've learnt to use C++ in .NET (found it to be very powerful for windows programming), so I'm no stranger to .NET. I guess I'll find a nice C# book and learn that over the coming weeks. Even if I find a C++ job, never herts to have another language under you belt.

Thanks for the input PyschoCoder. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:28 AM

But can you do web programming in C++, no you cannot, that is why ASP.Net w/C# or VB.Net is so popular. You get Object Oriented Programming for a web application. There is so much more that can be done web based now than with the native ASP 3.0 (Classic ASP) with VBScript.

VBScript is a scripting language, you can do a lot with it (especially if you know how to "manipulate" it), but with ASP.Net you create web applications with an actual programming language, much more powerful. Think about it, it, in essence, gives you the ability to make windows applications for the web.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

I've done a few classes using ASP & VB to make web based applications and sites that utilize a database. The class was fine, but VB, in my opinion was alot slower (writing the code) compared to C++ (at the time). That being said, I know what your saying, you can't really wright web apps in C++, and web based applications are alot more common (I've found) now then in the past. So I guess it's probley best practice for me to go with "the wave of the future" and focus a little more on these languages. Unless I can get a job at a gaming company or something that focuses on OS development, I'm going to need these languages.

This post has been edited by BrainStew: 17 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:01 AM

I'm all for learning new languages, I'm certified in ASP, VB.Net, C#, ASP.Net. Im learning ColdFusion, PHP, and "tinkering" with Ruby On Rails
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for the help PsychoCoder, your input has been great! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:06 AM

IMO i think C# is limited to C++ due to the ways C# tries to keep you from making "mistakes" which aren't mistakes at all..(if that makes sense) ...an example of this would be pointers in c++ vs. pointers in c#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

View PostTopher84, on 17 Aug, 2007 - 11:06 AM, said:

IMO i think C# is limited to C++ due to the ways C# tries to keep you from making "mistakes" which aren't mistakes at all..(if that makes sense) ...an example of this would be pointers in c++ vs. pointers in c#

Do you mean the language has limits due to it not allowing you as much freedom?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:55 AM

There is actually a great deal of freedom in both languages. What I believe he may have been referring to is that in C#, there are background garbage collection processes that run that are designed to free up memory. There is a potential for a memory address (which is all a pointer is) to change. As such, code containing pointer use may be designated as unsafe. Here's a fairly decent initial look

http://www.softsteel...rp/lesson5.html

Of course, there are ways around it.

I'm not sure about monster, but I live in Canada, and work extensively in Canada and the US, and there are tons of C++ jobs around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:08 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 19 Aug, 2007 - 04:55 AM, said:

There is actually a great deal of freedom in both languages. What I believe he may have been referring to is that in C#, there are background garbage collection processes that run that are designed to free up memory. There is a potential for a memory address (which is all a pointer is) to change. As such, code containing pointer use may be designated as unsafe. Here's a fairly decent initial look

http://www.softsteel...rp/lesson5.html

Of course, there are ways around it.

I'm not sure about monster, but I live in Canada, and work extensively in Canada and the US, and there are tons of C++ jobs around.

^^^ oh ok.

just out of curiosity, what part of ca? (if you don't mind me asking)

This post has been edited by BrainStew: 19 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:27 AM

I don't at all. I am currently based in Ottawa. You?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

moving back to Edmonton at the end of the month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:31 AM

Welcome home!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:38 AM

haha thanks, will be good to be home. London is getting on my nerves (too busy). Plus hockey season starts in a month and a bit! Go Oil!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +