2 Replies - 1174 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tearing hair out over IE <= 8

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

So I've literally spent a lot of today making http://joelkidd.co.uk/test site compatible with lots of older versions of the main browsers and so that they work nicely on different operating systems, too.

I've just done IE 9 and 10 and just as I think I'm getting the hang of things I hit the bomb site that is IE 8, 7, 6, etc. I've read all online about common problems with CSS and Internet Explorer and just can't figure it out.

Why is my navigation bar at the bottom of the page? Why are the content sections expanding full width and not to their assigned ones? Why is the main footer text centered and not left aligned? Where has the main header background color gone?

If anyone could actually tell me the specific code that is wrong and that Internet Explorer < 9 doesn't understand it might help me to learn more about testing for compatibility etc in the future.

Kind regards,
Joel

EDIT: I am also aware the title has a penis in it, perhaps I should have titled: IE < 9

This post has been edited by jskidd3: 11 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tearing hair out over IE <= 8

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Re: Tearing hair out over IE <= 8

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Well, just from a quick look at your page I see you're using an HTML 5 doctype and HTML 5 tags like <nav> and <section>. This is a problem right off because IE8 and lower don't support HTML 5 to any meaningful extent. In other words, don't count on any HTML 5 feature working in IE 8 or less.

If you really want to support old versions of IE, there are several Javascript libraries such as Moderizr that can add some limited support for HTML 5 tags in old versions of IE. They should at least give you the ability to properly style those elements. I've never used such libraries myself, so I can't speak from experience, but the only alternative is to just change all your markup to only use the elements supported by IE < 9.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Tearing hair out over IE <= 8

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostAdaHacker, on 12 April 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Well, just from a quick look at your page I see you're using an HTML 5 doctype and HTML 5 tags like <nav> and <section>. This is a problem right off because IE8 and lower don't support HTML 5 to any meaningful extent. In other words, don't count on any HTML 5 feature working in IE 8 or less.

If you really want to support old versions of IE, there are several Javascript libraries such as Moderizr that can add some limited support for HTML 5 tags in old versions of IE. They should at least give you the ability to properly style those elements. I've never used such libraries myself, so I can't speak from experience, but the only alternative is to just change all your markup to only use the elements supported by IE < 9.

Thanks very much, I downloaded a script and all works perfectly!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1