3 Replies - 1571 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Comp. Sci. major seeking advice on catching the groove for programming

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hey everyone,

My name is Zack and I am a student at the moment, just finished my first year, and really wanting to focus the majority of my attention into getting into the programming groove, has anyone ever encountered something like this and maybe have some advice on things that work?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Comp. Sci. major seeking advice on catching the groove for programming

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Comp. Sci. major seeking advice on catching the groove for programming

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Moved to Student Campus.

Pick a language, buy a book, and work through the exercises. There are a lot of "how do I get started" threads, if you search as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

If you just got through your first year, I imagine you haven't done any real programming yet? Possibly some assembly language? I started with Java, and there is a great online resource for either Java or Python called codingbat.com. Once you learn the absolute basics of the language (I'm talking math and string manipulation), codingbat.com has a whole bunch of exercises that are quick and easy to help you retain the information. There is also a very good site for learning scripting languages and it is codecademy.com. Codecademy has HTML, Javascript, Ruby, Python, and PHP and very detailed, in-depth lessons to get you started and it's all free.

What school are you attending? A big help for me is having a bunch of CS friends. Even my roommate is a fellow CS major so it's nice to have someone there with the same focus and who is learning the same things. My roommie is a semester ahead of me so it works nicely for me :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

Want to know what's hot? Search a job site for 150k+ jobs in the LA, Palo Alto, and Bay areas and find the terms they throw around all the time. Currently it seems to be Scala, Full Stack Developers, and DevOps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1