1 Replies - 3103 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I go straight to a dedicated server?

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I am making a website which will allow users to create a profile, with a small image. the website owner is expecting around 10,000 user profiles to be created over a one year period. She has asked my opinion on hosting, but i have never dealt with anything with that much storage requirement. I am doing some research on it, but wanted to get some direction from the experts. Would it be safe to start off with a regular business hosted solution from one of the usual hosting companies, like hostgator, justhost, etc? Or should she rent a dedicated server from them or someone else?

My thinking is to start out small, no need to spend hundreds only to end up with 500 users instead of the predicted 10k. but on the other hand, I don't want to have to move after a couple months because we run out of space. I will probably be managing the site for her for the first year or two and would like to make it as smooth as possible.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I go straight to a dedicated server?

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I go straight to a dedicated server?

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I think your thinking is right. It's always possible to upgrade the server or migrate than wasting a lot of money for a dedicated server. Actually 10,000 users is not much. How much data storage do you think will be required? Some hosting companies offer VPS with large drives. That might be a good option too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1