4 Replies - 570 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Registration VS's Just Using An Email System Like Cragislist?

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

So on my site I'm allowing use input into a database (I don't want to go into too many details here) but let it suffice to say that I'm not sure whether or not I should allow free postings i.e. anyone can post anything in the comments, using registration, or using just emails.

I've been in my unique case siding with the emails option. This works by having a unique like 30 digit long "edit id" that nobody could possibly guessed stored in the database for a comment or posting. (Craigslist does this for accounts that aren't registered but just use email). When my users post something on my site I've been flirting with and currently implementing this idea. Essentially they are given a special management link AND ACTIVATION LINK.

The activation link keeps spam comments from just showing up out of nowhere on my site.

I was thinking though perhaps users HATE having to open their email to mange/activate their every post? It doesn't bother me personally but that's why I'm asking this; what do people here recommend for this balance between (anyone can post with no strings attached) to Registration, and Email links for post and spam management?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Registration VS's Just Using An Email System Like Cragislist?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Registration VS's Just Using An Email System Like Cragislist?

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Have you considered replacing the email activation thing with a simple Captcha check? If your main concern there is to fight of spam, this should be effective enough. Neither is bullet-proof, of course, but solutions like reCaptcha are pretty good at getting rid of spammers. There are also anti-spam services you can use, like the stopforumspam.com API, which lets you verify use info against their database of known spammers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostAtli, on 14 April 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Have you considered replacing the email activation thing with a simple Captcha check? If your main concern there is to fight of spam, this should be effective enough. Neither is bullet-proof, of course, but solutions like reCaptcha are pretty good at getting rid of spammers. There are also anti-spam services you can use, like the stopforumspam.com API, which lets you verify use info against their database of known spammers.

No it's not just spam friend it's the fact that I have to keep some track of who is posting what!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

OK, then how about requiring email addresses to post, but giving the user a choice between permanent registration and a temporary activation. The registration would be the good old user model we all know and love, but the temporary activation would require them to click an emailed link to allow their email address to be used as an identifier for a short period. So they'd put in their email address when they first post, get a link in an email they need to click, after which the email alone could be used to post for some period of time.

That should take care of the annoyance of having to activate every time they post, as well as making it simpler for them to post without having to go through the process of registering.

Personally I'd always require a Captcha check for non-registered posters though. It's not exactly a challenge to have spam bots auto click emailed links. They probably already do that for normal registration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostAtli, on 16 April 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

OK, then how about requiring email addresses to post, but giving the user a choice between permanent registration and a temporary activation. The registration would be the good old user model we all know and love, but the temporary activation would require them to click an emailed link to allow their email address to be used as an identifier for a short period. So they'd put in their email address when they first post, get a link in an email they need to click, after which the email alone could be used to post for some period of time.

That should take care of the annoyance of having to activate every time they post, as well as making it simpler for them to post without having to go through the process of registering.

Personally I'd always require a Captcha check for non-registered posters though. It's not exactly a challenge to have spam bots auto click emailed links. They probably already do that for normal registration.

I'm using a capture check friend actually I coded it but it's a random question like what color is blood obviously red but stuff spam machines haven't broke through yet as I've had 0 problems with auto spam from programs/machines.

That said I think I might have a good balance here. For comments and posts their email has to be sent an activation link but once they click an activation link their email is stored in session and used for all future posts so long as the browser remains open and in session. (They still have to answer the security question though) but with this system if they are posting a few things at once they will only have to activate one comment or post and they can continue to keep posting.

I think this might be an acceptable middle ground you know?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1