3 Replies - 279 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2013 - 09:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question: Choosing an IDE ?

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

I don't know if this topic has been addressed before but I'd like to know which IDE is considered 'solid' for python.
I've read about eclipse and WindIDE and spyder but i'd like to know from experienced programmers what I should look for when choosing an IDE.
I'm not experienced at all in python and am using the IDLE but I am aware that there are better options,
I read that IDLE is more than enough for someone just starting to learn python(which is where i am at).
But I'd like to know why some IDE are considered better than others and why some programmers choose to use them over others.
I know very few programmers and none that use python so I figured this is the best place to ask the question and get good answers.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question: Choosing an IDE ?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Question: Choosing an IDE ?

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Well this question has honestly been discussed everywhere as a quick google would have told you but here is a stackoverflow thread that seems to discuss it nicely:
What IDE to use for Python

Also if you want a useful answer to this question you need to include what operating system you are using.

I use an IDE called pyscripter on windows 7. Includes most everything I want in an IDE (although it has occasional stability problems).

I used IDLE for ages as I didn't really know any better but, no, it isn't good. That said it isn't evil either as a lot of people will make it out to be. It is just very minimal. It is written in Tkinter so it doesn't play particularly nicely with other Tkinter applications, but even that is usually easy to work around. If you are just playing around it will suit you just fine.

That said, as you know there are better options, do yourself a favor and find one.

-Mek
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the reply and link to the thread Met,
Windows 7 on my home PC
Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop
I'm definitely going to give pyscript a try.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

My personal preference is for Komodo Edit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1