3 Replies - 1207 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

University Program advice.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm new, so uh, hi.

I'm currently in grade 11 and live in the GTA (Ontario). The career I'm currently aiming for is software engineering. Now the only program that is accredited for a bse that I've found in and around the GTA is the program at Waterloo. Every other software engineering program gives you a bcs or something. Now here's my question. Let's say I'm NOT accepted into the program at Waterloo, is it better to do a software engineering program at another university and get a bcs or just do a computer science program and get a bcs?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: University Program advice.

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: University Program advice.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

At my school the difference between software engineering and computer science
are pretty minimal. SE's take a few more software development cycle type classes
where the CS take a few more theoretical ones, such as finite automata. You'll be
fine to go into programming with either degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

They're two distinct majors, that's why they separably exists. Do more research on the differences between the two and see which route you want to go.

Off the top of my head, I know computer science is more involved in algorithm analysis and theory and software engineering is more involved software architecture, compilers, testing, yadayadayda.

This post has been edited by jjl: 19 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I want to go into Software Engineering. But as I said, only one program in Ontario gives you a bse. If I DON'T get into that program, is it better for me to take a Computer Science program, or a software engineering program that isn't accredited for a bse, with the goal being becoming a software engineer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1