6 Replies - 1055 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wanting to program something, need some guidance on language choice

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm wanting to work on a program that is in the same vein of Video Thumbnails Maker and EazyFlixPix but create the best of both worlds in a single program, and I'm wondering which language I need to learn/practice with in order to accomplish this...

Basically I want this program to be a catalog for both organizational and media consumption purposes, grabbing from an existing large video/video-clip collection (not recording anything new at least not for now), displaying the video them as thumbnails (highly customizable in that regard how they are made) to browse through and click those images to play, but also with many more awesome features not typically seen as far as in depth tagging the files/sorting/searching/rating/filtering, etc...

I plan on supported a very sophisticated tagging system (for keywords, like Abobe Lightroom does) can export or import from text the keywords build in the program or outside of it, etc...) and also grab it from the TAGS property on the file itself (for files that support that property and ones that don't support it (avi's, etc), and perhaps implement one like the program TAGGEDFROG does

But is this something that JAVA could do well? My experience with programming is very limited, so I'd be basically starting over...I'm not in a mad rush I just want to do it right! I've made text rpg's in with C and C++, also made very basic apps in visual basic (dice roller program for a game similar to Yahtzee, had a very basic text RPG in visual basic using really generic images at certain points that displays and that's it, LOL

I'd rather learn it right and do it right, then program something sloppy...should I be looking into C/C++/C# or is Java the easier (just as capable) choice for a media management program of such caliber?

Thanks for any guidance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wanting to program something, need some guidance on language choice

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wanting to program something, need some guidance on language choice

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Simply used the language with which you are the more familiar.

If you have to learn a language, it is not in the Java forum that somebody will recommend another language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

View Postpbl, on 18 April 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Simply used the language with which you are the more familiar.

If you have to learn a language, it is not in the Java forum that somebody will recommend another language.

Thanks for the general advice, I wasn't sure WHERE to post this....

However I'd like to focus my efforts if possible on the best language TO LEARN for this task, not just what makes me feel good or I've done in the past (like I said I'm starting over basically, I barely know any)...I'd rather choose the best one for handling all the multimedia requirements this one will have...since I'm not a programmer I don't know which one that would be, hence the post, sorry if it's in the wrong area.

Anyone care to tackle it anyways with a more specific piece of advice given that I'm not familiar really with any language?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

It is a quite basic task not requiring any language special features so it can be done in any of the mentionned languages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm wanting to work on a program that is in the same vein of Video Thumbnails Maker and EazyFlixPix but create the best of both worlds in a single program, and I'm wondering which language I need to learn/practice with in order to accomplish this...

Basically I want this program to be a catalog for both organizational and media consumption purposes, grabbing from an existing large video/video-clip collection (not recording anything new at least not for now), displaying the video them as thumbnails (highly customizable in that regard how they are made) to browse through and click those images to play, but also with many more awesome features not typically seen as far as in depth tagging the files/sorting/searching/rating/filtering, etc...

I plan on supported a very sophisticated tagging system (for keywords, like Abobe Lightroom does) can export or import from text the keywords build in the program or outside of it, etc...) and also grab it from the TAGS property on the file itself (for files that support that property and ones that don't support it (avi's, etc), and perhaps implement one like the program TAGGEDFROG does

But is this something that C# could do well? My experience with programming is VERY limited, so I'd be basically starting over...I'm not in a mad rush I just want to do it right! I've made text rpg's in with C and C++, also made very basic apps in visual basic (dice roller program for a game similar to Yahtzee, had a very basic text RPG in visual basic using really generic images at certain points that displays and that's it, LOL

I'd rather learn it right and do it right, then program something sloppy...should I be looking into Java if it's easier (but just as capable) for a media management program of such caliber?

Thanks for any guidance and helpful suggestions!

Note: I asked this in the JAVA forum, but was told it's basic and any language can do it, which is like saying any blunt tool can hammer in a nail (although a hammer IS ideal...) so I'd like to start off in the right direction and would appreciate any opinions on this, I know you all will be in to C#, just wondering why it would be a good choice?

Does it truly NOT matter for this task? Is there a better subforum (a general one) here I'm missing to post this sort of thing in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sure.. c# can do that.. .NET does have access to the windows media player namespace so no biggie there. Then again so can java, c++, VB.NET, etc. Any major language can accomplish this.

I know you all will be in to C#, just wondering why it would be a good choice?

Does it truly NOT matter for this task? Is there a better subforum (a general one) here I'm missing to post this sort of thing in?

I am not here to sell you on a language or not.

Side note - don't double post things.

Merging and moving to 'software dev' since you are on the fence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 18 April 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Sure.. c# can do that.. .NET does have access to the windows media player namespace so no biggie there. Then again so can java, c++, VB.NET, etc. Any major language can accomplish this.

I know you all will be in to C#, just wondering why it would be a good choice?

I am not here to sell you on a language or not.

Side note - don't double post things.

Merging and moving to 'software dev' since you are on the fence.

Okay thank you for the very helpful answer, sorry about the double post!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1