• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 2590 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

When to move on

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is an interesting question that seems to get a lot of different answers. When you're in a job, at what point do you decide to move on?

For some it's that they're no longer learning at the job, others are bored. I've seen a few recently that have automated near everything, and are simply doing maintenance work which drives them mad.

What's your cue to start looking?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: When to move on

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: When to move on

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostLemur, on 21 April 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

When you're in a job, at what point do you decide to move on?

When I get an offer for enough money to make rocking the boat worth while.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

POPULAR

Its time to leave when the pay no longer covers the level of BS. IE- The BS:Pay ratio is not in your favor.
When you are not worth being around at home and your family are unhappy with you all the time.

My 2nd wife used to say it didn't matter what a car cost as long as you could sign the monthly payment with a smile.
That could apply to work as well. When the paycheck brings a smile, because you would do the job for free and the money is just how you pay for food.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

POPULAR

I suppose a cue could be when you start to ask this question :scooter:
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Postandrewsw, on 21 April 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

I suppose a cue could be when you start to ask this question :scooter:/>

Well played.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

My cue is usually I have reached the top of where I can go in the next few years. For example, in my current job my boss is not leaving anytime soon and there is one other person who isn't going anywhere either who would get his job if he left. So I am second in line at best. This among other reasons tells me it is time to start looking. Worst case is I can't find anything and I just stay where I am at. It never hurts to keep your options open.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

I agree with Both tlhIn`toq and Apokio. For me, If I have no way to advance myself either within my position or skill wise it's time to move on. Beyond that If I notice that my home life is being affected because of things happening at work it's time to move on. My last job had me stuck in a junior level position with out any way to advance beyond so I had no choice but to leave the company to further my career.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 farrell2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Your goal at work should be to do the least amount of work humanly possible for the most amount of money. Never let your work bother you. I wouldn't care one bit about learning at work, being challenged, etc. That's for idealistic people in their early 20s. Challenge yourself and grow on your own time, at your own pace. Work is an agreement between you and your employer to support you and your family by providing a service, nothing more. The least amount you have to deal with, the better. You leave the job when the level or work becomes not worth the pay, and you have other options.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 23 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I don't stop looking. That way I always know what I'm worth and what's available.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Radar love
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 24 April 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Your goal at work should be to do the least amount of work humanly possible for the most amount of money. Never let your work bother you. I wouldn't care one bit about learning at work, being challenged, etc. That's for idealistic people in their early 20s. Challenge yourself and grow on your own time, at your own pace. Work is an agreement between you and your employer to support you and your family by providing a service, nothing more. The least amount you have to deal with, the better. You leave the job when the level or work becomes not worth the pay, and you have other options.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 24 April 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

This reminded me of a quote from Steve Jobs. He didn't quote see it the same way you do, and he was not exactly an idealistic 20-is year old.

http://www.youtube.c...-jKKp3NA#t=486s

Steve Jobs said:

You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 23 April 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

Your goal at work should be to do the least amount of work humanly possible for the most amount of money...

Dude!?! You are so the guy I try to avoid hiring. There are people who love their work and I want them.

I recently watched a presentation and about a minute in our speaker says:

Alright, so my first statement is that writing code is fun.

I mean, we don't do it for money, right? We would be doing it anyway. Right? It's true. I mean, that's the truth, right? ... let's not tell our managers.

- An Introduction to Microsoft F#
- Luca Bolognese

I wanted to hug this guy. I wanted to hire him. It was clear some people in the audience had no idea what he was talking about, which made me sad.

Programming is fun. Programming is also hard. Kids, if you haven't found the fun, find something else as career. No amount of money can make going to a job you hate worth it.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 24 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

There's a middle ground here. I like my job, but my priorities in the course of the day are set by the person who signs my check, and that's a good thing. Sometimes the thing that I'm most interested in doing is not the thing that moves the project forward the most.

But yeah, at the end of the day I'm in a job where almost everything I do is stuff I want to be doing. This is why I always get a little weirded out by the Silicon Valley bit with the work-as-playground stuff. I mean, I'm there to be working on stuff that's neat and fun. I don't need a water slide in the break room to get me to like being there!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

After years of bouncing around because I got bored, stopped learning or got fed up being treated badly I chose job security above all the other things.
I'm too old for all that messing about now :wheelchair:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 farrell2k  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 24 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

View Postfarrell2k, on 23 April 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

Your goal at work should be to do the least amount of work humanly possible for the most amount of money...

Dude!?! You are so the guy I try to avoid hiring. There are people who love their work and I want them.

Well, that's because you're the guy buying programmers. You're the only doing the buying, so you obviously you want to get the most talent for your money, right? In most cases it will be the most talent for the least amount of pay and benefits. Why should it be any different in the employees eyes, where they want the opposite?

Despite what employees actually tell you, they really also want to get the most money for the least amount of work. The same goes for buying and or selling anything, really. When I buy a TV, laptop, etc, I want to get the most I can for the least amount of money.

I still love to program, but ultimately my family and myself are of a higher priority than you, the job, or your company ever will be. I want to do the least for the most money, and you wan the most work for the least amount of money, so we balance and compromise by meeting in the middle somewhere.

It's the exact reason why senior developers don't work for junior pay. It's too much work for too little money.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 24 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +