1 Replies - 1187 Views - Last Post: 19 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are CIW Certs Worth Anything?

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hey everyone, I'm currently well on my way to learning HTML and CSS and recently I heard of the Certified Internet Web Professional website. Now, just to be clear, I do NOT want to pursue a career in web development, I'm only learning HTML and CSS as a good foundation for coding. The reason I ask is because my employer wants me to have some kind of certification. They keep preaching the CompTIA Security+ or the Cisco CCNA. I'm not really interested in those, to be honest. I want to do something with code and I thought that maybe the CIW certs would be worth something. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are CIW Certs Worth Anything?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are CIW Certs Worth Anything?

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hello there,

Personally I have never heard of those certificates but after taking a brief look at the website they seem fairly decent, I can't see it being a bad thing in anyway at least. When they say they want you to have a certificate are they specifically speaking of a certificate or is it a broader term, would a qualification type certificate suffice?

Depending on the above question, it might be worth taking a look at the OpenUniversity, you can enroll on one course at a time aimed at people new to web development/design and then when you feel you've grasped that, pick courses you would like to learn about: PHP, Java, server engineering, networking .. pretty much anything you want, and tailor the knowledge you're learning from the course. Each course gives you credits toward certificate at the end which would sate your employers. You do the courses in your own time, the deadlines are very lax and there is always a lot of support on their site, I'd highly recommend it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1