11 Replies - 793 Views - Last Post: 27 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Gamers For Boston

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hello everyone,

Well I'm here to see if we can get some support for this charity we are starting to do. The event that took place in Boston was sad and tragic and has affected a bunch of people. I heard some younger kids in a Lan center saying they wish they have money to donate. So I decided to take the bull by the horns and start the fundraiser up for them. We are going to be setting up online pc game servers and all we ask if that if your a gamer you participate in playing in the servers hoping to keep them full. We will be monitoring the servers and trying to make sure everything is going as good as it can. We want everyone to enjoy the time but also know they are in there playing for a reason.

We will be setting up servers for Cod Series Games and Counter Strike Series as well. We will be providing a ventrilo for all the gamers to use and talk while in the servers playing for a good cause. All the information will be posted on our facebook page.

We ask that if you can like the page www.facebook.com/gamersforboston and spread the word for this good cause.

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Gamers For Boston

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gamers For Boston

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Speaking on behalf of Boston, 'cause I can do that, and meaning no offense, but can you provide any more information about where the actual money is coming from, and where it's going to?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yeah - just a bit confused on the details.. so you play your COD games on these servers... and that makes money to donate to somewhere in Boston, or am I missing something because of a bad case of The Mondays?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hello everyone

I'm sorry I didn't get into great details as this event is moving faster than my fingers can keep up with. The money is coming from Local business from the New England Area ie: Maine, New Hampshire and Mass and other states where local companies have been contacted to see if they would be interested in donating money based off a certain amount of time that we have the servers full or gamers in there participating. I sent a letter out explaining that some younger kids talked about wishing if there was a way they could help and this was the solution. www.gameservers is donating servers for this event. We will provide servers until they are completely dead. There is a week capped on this event. I hope this clears up some of the questions. So basically local companies are donating money for kids to play in game servers to which is raise for Boston families that have lost loved ones and wounded. If there are any more question please feel free to keep them coming and I will get to them asap

Thanks for your concern.

Isaah Finney
SSGT Finney
USMC
Always Faithful
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

This still sounds suspicious even though you aren't asking for money directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

how does playing on a server generate money? is the money actually only generated from the companies donating? if so why don't you just donate the money and call it a day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I think that by playing and logging time the kids feel empowered as if it was their direct contribution to the charity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Its the idea of people actually logging the time which is the purpose for the fund raiser. I'm sure the money donated from companies could just be donated but the principal behind it where people are doing something they enjoy for a good cause. Modi123_1 said it the best...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

So what organizations will benefit from this, and do they know about it yet?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

And could you not do this with some decent games?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

This sounds like the old Bowl-a-thon from back in Boy Scouts. I would get people to pledge to give me money based on my 3 game score. None of the donors ever came to watch me bowl or ensure I did actually have that score. Why didn't I just make up a score and collect the money? The only reason I actually did the bowling was because I had fun doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

We are open to all games and have been adding servers on request. If there is a game you would like to see added be sure to let us know. Everyone has asked why don't we just take the donations and leave it at that. Well I know if I tell a company that this is what we are doing then it's in my character to ensure I follow through with what I said I'm going to do. Feel free to participate and I think you all for you the questions so far

Isaah Finney
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1