3D Printers

• (4 Pages)
  • +

46 Replies - 2521 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: 3D Printers

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

I would print out a Patapon. That would be cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I am pretty certain that's not how videogames are made.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Posteugenerudenko, on 24 April 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

I think that in some 8-10 years they will be as popular as regular printers nowadays. The idea of being able to print a physical object is really exciting, though I've already read that someone has tried to print a gun.

You read it because they did.

To keep it away from the guns though (because I don't wanna see Hannibal hurt himself), imagine how much of the knock off plastic shit products that we currently buy from China will be handled by home printing.

Kind of makes you wonder, what industries will arise that you might consider investing in that will explode when 3D printing does? Plastic producers and printer manufacturers are obvious...but surely there's going to be something else. Maybe template producers...who knows?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Posteugenerudenko, on 24 April 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I think that in some 8-10 years they will be as popular as regular printers nowadays. The idea of being able to print a physical object is really exciting, though I've already read that someone has tried to print a gun.

Yeah, that's all we need. We have enough idiots running around in public with loaded weapons. I can only imagine the disaster that would ensure were anyone able to print one at home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Sure enough. That's a pickle. Democracies pretty much function on the premise that people know what's good for themselves. Hard to reconcile...especially when technology works in a way to diminish governmental control.

You only have to look as far as Iran and such and how they're doing their best to deal with the proliferation of free speech abetted by cell phones, the internet and such. Hard to make your propaganda effective when your audience is no longer a captive one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostCraig328, on 24 April 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

At least, they printed one piece of it. They haven't actually printed a gun, in the sense of printing a device for propelling a projectile by means of a chemical explosion.

To keep it away from the guns though (because I don't wanna see Hannibal hurt himself), imagine how much of the knock off plastic shit products that we currently buy from China will be handled by home printing.

Probably not that much, honestly. Printing is extremely expensive, compared to manufacturing. I'd have to go down to the Asylum to check the rates there, but based on what I saw posted there a few months ago, a typical plastic tchotchke that costs under a dollar in a tchtchke shop would cost several dollars to print.
At these prices, the only things worth printing are things you can't easily buy, like home-made plastic tchtchkes that nobody's making yet, or a lower receiver for an AR-15 without a serial number on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 24 April 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

View PostCraig328, on 24 April 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

At least, they printed one piece of it. They haven't actually printed a gun, in the sense of printing a device for propelling a projectile by means of a chemical explosion.

You may not know a whole lot about firearms but the receiver is pretty much the critical part. If they can print that and the weapon can contain the cartridge burst pressure then the rest of the process ought not to be of concern. The issue really is durability. You can make a cannon out of a hollow tree trunk and enough banded iron to contain it firing a shot. The question is, how many times will it work before it fails? Same thing for a polymer receiver.

Insofar as price goes, just like any new tech, once its distribution reaches a critical mass, the price begins to fall precipitously. In this case though, I think what we'll end up seeing is much like what we see with regular paper printers: the price of the printer itself plummets but the price of the consumables (in this case, plastic, polymers, metals, etc) will probably stay high and remain high. This will be especially true if they come out with media that are more durable. Overall, the price will drop but yeah, probably not enough to put the Chinese crap makers entirely out of business.

3D design though, that will be a growing tech market I should think. Moreso than it is now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

It's true, I don't know a lot about the engineering of guns, but it seemed to me from the descriptions I'm finding the most critical part about the receiver is that it has a serial number on it. :) I could be wrong on that, but that's the sense that I'm getting from a cursory read-around on the subject.

The question on my mind is, how long do you think it will be before you, personally, are willing to fire a printed rifle - meaning printed, lock, stock, and barrel? I suspect that's going to be a long time coming, but again, I don't know much about these things. (and I'm actually curious here, not trying to make some point)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 25 April 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

The question on my mind is, how long do you think it will be before you, personally, are willing to fire a printed rifle - meaning printed, lock, stock, and barrel? I suspect that's going to be a long time coming, but again, I don't know much about these things. (and I'm actually curious here, not trying to make some point)

It's probably not too far off. If prices fall to the point where it is affordable, what would stop you from just printing throw aways that fire only a few times? God, this country has a really unhealthy obsession with guns. I hate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

There's a 3D printer in the CADD lab. Costs an arm and a leg to print something small if you're not a mechanical engineer. But one of my materials science friends is using 3D printing to create molds for metal casting. It's really very cool.

I watched a youtube video where they printed a bicycle and rode it. Pretty cool.

I just like the idea of "oh whoops, I broke a bowl. lemme go print out another."

This post has been edited by CSatVTftw: 24 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostCheribasa, on 24 April 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

what do you all think of 3D Printers?

Gizmodo has its opinion: http://gizmodo.com/5...otally-worth-it

I for one, think it's awesome to know that at some point; I could literally email someone a spoon.

What do you all think?

You should check this old thread about 3D Printers:
3D Printers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 24 April 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Well, here's the thing. When we talk about something like that, what we're really saying is "would you trust a gun design of today being printed from a 3D printer". What I mean is, the engineering, the manufacturing process and everything else takes into consideration that most guns are made from steel, nickel, and various alloys for their crucial parts (crucial being the ones that undergo the most demanding stresses and ensure safety when firing). If we introduce a new manufacturing process then we perhaps introduce new designs.

My personal carry weapon is a Glock 30. Gaston Glock had exactly zero experience in firearm building or design when he got into the game in the early 1980s. What he did have was a whole bunch of knowledge plastics, polymers and other exotic (to firearms manufacturing anyway) materials that he decided to leverage and incorporate into his pistol design. The entire frame (analogous to the receiver in a carbine like the AR15) in most Glocks is made from a polymer and I currently shoot that without concern. That said, the frame doesn't contain all the explosive pressure by itself but a crucial part in there does contribute quite a bit and that piece is called the locking block. In Glocks (and pretty much any pistol) that piece is indeed a metal piece so you'd think that it might not be a piece you could print and then rely upon...but here's where the "print parts on demand" part comes in.

Beretta recommends you switch out your locking block with a new one every 20K - 30K rounds fired. In short: they're wear pieces and they're designed to be replaced. Now, to someone like me, I'd run, at most maybe 500 - 700 rounds through my pistol per year. Using Beretta's specs, I'd switch the locking block out after around 30 years. I'm sure other parts have a designed shelf life as well. Thing is, that change period is a manufacturers guide. In the world of 3D printing, perhaps a new design is introduced that changes the mechanics of a printed pistol such that you can reasonably expect to get maybe 10 years of similar life out of a printed pistol part before it needs replacing. We do it with automotive tires, brakes, motor oil...we'd do it with stuff like this. Those parts already have a replacement intent...its just with 3D printing, that time frame is shortened...and that's if we're talking about current pistol designs.

The same is true for all kinds of other parts/things. Automotive hoses and such, gaskets, seals...all that kind of thing can probably be expected to be printable and usable in the future. It'd be a new paradigm which would lead to all kinds of new things.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 25 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

View Postcalvinthedestroyer, on 25 April 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

View PostCheribasa, on 24 April 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

what do you all think of 3D Printers?

Gizmodo has its opinion: [url]http://gizmodo.com/5995280/9-incredible-objects-that-prove-3d-printers-are-totally-worth-it[/url]

I for one, think it's awesome to know that at some point; I could literally email someone a spoon.

What do you all think?

You should check this old thread about 3D Printers:
[url="http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/295730-3d-printers/"]3D Printers[/url]

I guess it's necessary to point out a few things: That word that you used 'old thread'. Also; I am deeply sorry that I
reproduced an old thread. I guess since I didn't see it on the front page of the lounge, I figured it never came up.
Sorry about that.

This post has been edited by Cheribasa: 25 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

This showed up in my news feed this morning:

My Kindergartner Can 3D Print. So Can Yours.

It spawned a few more links:
3D Printed Pottery From Your Mobile Phone

Let's create! Pottery HD

Doodle3D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

'Pottery HD.' Psh, when you get a 3D printer, you can freaking print out the pots. XD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +