11 Replies - 2351 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I might have a year off... What should I do with my time off?

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

So I was planning on going to UVA for Fall Semester, but I got waitlisted. I thought it was pretty much guaranteed due to an agreement with my community college, but for some reason I didn't get it. I'm going to talk to an advisor on Monday and the assistant dean at UVA about this, but in the mean time I'm pondering about what I can do for the future.

Say I do get waitlisted, and I don't get into UVA for fall. There is a two year grace period after I get my associates at my Community College, and I'm pretty sure I'm guaranteed during those two years. I will check to make sure, but I'm almost certain.

There are some things I can do:

I can a) Wait a year, and go to UVA. This is what I'm leaning towards because I spent the last year doing it solely for this, but apparently I didn't get it. And I love the school of UVA, and it also has a good computer science program. If I do this option, what can I do during this time to increase my stock as a CS major? Should I get an internship or a job? I am planning on doing other things to help the other areas of my life(basketball and writing).

or I could go b ) and go back to George Mason. That's where I originally went to, but I really don't want to go there. I just did not enjoy my time there, and based on academic standings, UVA blows GMU out of the water. I've done a year and a half at GMU, so I'd have to do the same amount of credits at each school(UVA or GMU), but GMU would be done quicker.

What would you recommend?

This post has been edited by bstfrmdamidaeast: 27 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I might have a year off... What should I do with my time off?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I might have a year off... What should I do with my time off?

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Go on walk about?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

GMU sort of annoyed me. If you think it's likely you'll get into UVA and can afford the year off, you can do cool stuff in that year. Honestly, though, you thought it was likely you were going there in the first place and a waitlist is in no way a promise you'll get in later. Any chance you can do an internship or a coop?

There are a lot of good schools in Virginia if in-state is your thing, though at this point I think it's getting late to apply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 April 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Go on walk about?

What?

View Postxclite, on 27 April 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

GMU sort of annoyed me. If you think it's likely you'll get into UVA and can afford the year off, you can do cool stuff in that year. Honestly, though, you thought it was likely you were going there in the first place and a waitlist is in no way a promise you'll get in later. Any chance you can do an internship or a coop?

There are a lot of good schools in Virginia if in-state is your thing, though at this point I think it's getting late to apply.

Well, if it's a chance then I most likely wouldn't take the risk. The only reason I would do it is if it is guaranteed, which I will talk to an advisor about. I'm still hoping the waitlist works out, I'm going to see if I can talk to the assistant dean of admissions and my friend who is a VPO at UVA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Postbstfrmdamidaeast, on 27 April 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 April 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Go on walk about?

What?

Shorthand for backpacking around Europe and "finding yourself".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Something I have always lived by has yet to come up and stab me: "If you have the time to take a break, do it, because you may never get to again."
Also, while on this break, and I'm going to echo Modi and KYA here, find yourself. It's a real fun time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

OI can tell you one thing not to do, which might help. I've seen plenty of people set off on a stretch of free time with some sort of goal, and they spend the time meaning to get around to it tomorrow. Don't do that. What you should do, that's up to you. If going to school is important to you, find a way to be in school. If you think you'll be in UVA in a year, and that's where you want to be, contact the CS department there and talk to them about what classes would be most useful for you in this year, and find a way to take those classes. Community colleges can be great, and even if they're not, you can be great in them.
Travel can be great, if you have the wherewithal. If you can spend a year working and living somewhere where you're a total stranger, you might get a lot out of that.
Or you could work - working isn't the worst thing that's ever happened to a person. If you can find a gig doing something cool, you'll have cash in pocket and a line on your resume, and some experience and contacts. Not awful.
Or you could do something else - there's a lot of options in this world. Just don't spend the time playing video games and thinking about all the great things you could be doing. That will turn sour very soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

I remember a lot of smart people that got rejected from UVA, after being wait-listed. If you don't get into UVA this year, it sounds like you're going to reapply next year? What if you don't get in then? Other than George Mason, have you thought about other in-state schools? Do you have an idea of what you're interested in regarding the field of Computer Science? It might be wise to apply to other schools based on how well they fit your interests.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Travelling is an awesome suggestion. If I had a year off with no commitments, I'd definitely go travelling again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

First send in a letter of continued interest (a LOCI). This shows the admissions committee that you are committed to attending UVA. It might be too late but consider other schools as well. Virginia Tech is just as good and well known. For computer science it wont matter that much. Just get in to school and graduate. There are no guarantees when it comes to college applications. Always apply to back up schools in case you don't get in.

If you want to wait a year, then you can still go to George Mason and transfer to UVA from there. Most schools let you transfer if you can finish the last 15 credits or so in the major at the school. You will have to check the college catalog for the school you want to go to though.

Call up UVA and ask a counselor why your stats didn't get you admitted. If your stats are too low dont sweat it, attend another school, and pick your grades up. You can always go to a better grad school later for your masters. If you just sit out a year, that's opportunity cost of lost salary from not graduating sooner.

This post has been edited by J-e-L-L-o: 11 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Virginia Tech is just as good

As a Hokie, I take offense to that. We kick UVA's ass in football year in and year out, and that's what matters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

LOL. I meant prestige wise. They are the top schools in the state for anything.

I'm from Florida so I know how it goes.... (go SEC!)

George Mason is known throughout the east coast. More so than say Old Dominion. GMU is not the end of the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1