can a drop get job in google or facebook or apple as software engineer

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2993 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

can a drop get job in google or facebook or apple as software engineer

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

can a drop out get job in google, facebook, apple or other multinational company as a software engineer ??
and if he has java certification as well???
can he be selected based on his knowledge ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: can a drop get job in google or facebook or apple as software engineer

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Re: can a drop get job in google or facebook or apple as software engineer

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

That's not really how the process works. It's not all black and white.

Just because you're an apt programmer, that doesn't make you a suitable employee. Google is aiming a little high. You're best looking for entry level jobs before you reach for the stars. You might find that you end up doing something that you really like anyway. It's also worth noting, that if you look up job applications for this field, they're not very straight-forward. Yes, you need experience, and to be able to work as part of a team -- but they also (sometimes) ask that you know multiple languages. If the market ever changes, they have to know that their employees aren't one trick ponies.

Also, you would be surprised how linear the market is for skills. For instance, a programmer fresh out of college will perform worse at an interview than a programmer fresh out of college who has been working at McDonalds for the past 3 years, and they might both perform better than a programmer fresh out of college with management history. It's the same with any profession. Your academic transcript doesn't tell all of the story.

I want you to ask yourself a really depression question. Look at your resume, and imagine yourself applying for a job. There are 5 other applicants, but they're all graduate-level programmers with beefed up academic resume's. Would YOU employ you?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Why are you looking at the three companies that everyone in the world targets in their job search? There's a lot of people looking to hire programmers. Go work for someone. Get good at what you do. Learn some languages that aren't java, and get past the "certification" stage. As you get more skills, you'll find that jobs come across your radar - pursue the interesting ones. If that leads you to google or apple, great, but it's sure to lead you to things that are interesting, and that's what you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostGungnir, on 29 April 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Just because you're an apt programmer, that doesn't make you a suitable employee. Google is aiming a little high. You're best looking for entry level jobs before you reach for the stars. You might find that you end up doing something that you really like anyway. It's also worth noting, that if you look up job applications for this field, they're not very straight-forward. Yes, you need experience, and to be able to work as part of a team -- but they also (sometimes) ask that you know multiple languages. If the market ever changes, they have to know that their employees aren't one trick ponies.

Also, you would be surprised how linear the market is for skills. For instance, a programmer fresh out of college will perform worse at an interview than a programmer fresh out of college who has been working at McDonalds for the past 3 years, and they might both perform better than a programmer fresh out of college with management history. It's the same with any profession. Your academic transcript doesn't tell all of the story.

I want you to ask yourself a really depression question. Look at your resume, and imagine yourself applying for a job. There are 5 other applicants, but they're all graduate-level programmers with beefed up academic resume's. Would YOU employ you?

Yeah also i think its good if i get experience first and then slowly climb the ladder.....

and m 22 now so i ned a lots to learn and hoping everything goes as planned... but my question remains the same

see

certification + experience + intrest + knowledge + dropout ...
??

View Postsparxx, on 29 April 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

View PostGungnir, on 29 April 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yeah also i think its good if i get experience first and then slowly climb the ladder.....

and m 22 now so i ned a lots to learn and hoping everything goes as planned... but my question remains the same

see

certification + experience + intrest + knowledge + dropout ...
??

But Can sumbody tell me step by step procedure to get in these company without degree. see i have lots of interest in programming.. and i can learn whatever it takes to reach tht level m good self learner ..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

These companies usually hire the kind of person who isn't on forums asking the step by step instructions to get hired by them.

This may sound harsh but the real solution, as mentioned, is to be realistic. I'm not claiming a degree is required, but the kind of person who didn't have the wherewithall to finish a degree isn't the kind of person they're necessarily looking for (circumstances, of course, vary between individuals). You are starting at a defecit, and it doesn't sound like you have something to climb out of it with.

What do you have to offer them? They want somebody who can build, who can solve problems, who can communicate. In short, improve your utility, your skills, and get experience. Otherwise, you aren't even going to get a phone screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postxclite, on 29 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

These companies usually hire the kind of person who isn't on forums asking the step by step instructions to get hired by them.

This may sound harsh but the real solution, as mentioned, is to be realistic. I'm not claiming a degree is required, but the kind of person who didn't have the wherewithall to finish a degree isn't the kind of person they're necessarily looking for (circumstances, of course, vary between individuals). You are starting at a defecit, and it doesn't sound like you have something to climb out of it with.

What do you have to offer them? They want somebody who can build, who can solve problems, who can communicate. In short, improve your utility, your skills, and get experience. Otherwise, you aren't even going to get a phone screen.

I'll make it happen....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

View Postsparxx, on 29 April 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

But Can sumbody tell me step by step procedure to get in these company without degree. see i have lots of interest in programming.. and i can learn whatever it takes to reach tht level m good self learner ..

The funny part is some of those companies go out of their way to make their interviews, selection process, and even job posting as non-typical as possible. I know Facebook and Google both had pages that were complex functions/patterns/encryption that people would decode and get a link to the actual job application. Then there's the stories of the jackassy interview questions... all in attempts to find that one person who is right for the job because they jumped through the hoops.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Any jobs that pay well with good benefits would BE fine for me. :3. That said, as the others guys mention, don't aim that way, aim for some entry level engineer jobs, learn more language, dev some applications in ur free time, and write it down on your resume, u can bring the code in to show them what you are capable of. I think the best way for you to level the playing field with college grad is showing your ability.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

And note that certification is not always a plus... :)

I know companies for which having a certain certification automatically means that you won't get the job. There are certifications that are more marketing oriented to make you a perfect sales rep for a product... which also means that you will not look at any other alternative.

Do you think that a XYZ Certified DBA will suggest the use of an Oracle database ?
Sure that a company that has 500 XYZ database may be interested by your certification but may be not a company that think to move all their flat files to a SQL system.

Do you think that a .NET certified engineer will investigate a Java solution ? And vice versa ? So if you have a Java certification and you apply in a 100% MS shop may be a good idea not to show your certification.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Moving to the Corner Cubicle, as this isn't a Java help question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostRozenKristal, on 29 April 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Any jobs that pay well with good benefits would BE fine for me. :3. That said, as the others guys mention, don't aim that way, aim for some entry level engineer jobs, learn more language, dev some applications in ur free time, and write it down on your resume, u can bring the code in to show them what you are capable of. I think the best way for you to level the playing field with college grad is showing your ability.

yep agree with u ....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postxclite, on 29 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

lol i dont care what u said but .. one thing i know is il get hired ... :P and also if a person have degree but no knowledge is of waste .....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postsparxx, on 29 April 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

lol i dont care what u said but .. one thing i know is il get hired ...
... snip...

I love the smell of hubris in the afternoon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

You should also work on your grammar. People who can't compose coherent and grammatically correct are not likely to get hired.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I was just about to say what macosxnerd101 said.

I once got a job interview for a friend of mine at a previous job. I shot him to the front of the line, and all he had to do was take this online test. When taking it he got stoned and proceeded to fill it all out in leet-speak. My boss came to me and asked if I had suggested a retard to work there (her words, not mine). I reamed that kid a new asshole for making me look bad like that. He thought it'd make him look "tech-savvy"... it didn't.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +