6 Replies - 2248 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

jQuery Carousel with faded left and right images

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. A client of mine wants to do a slider or carousel like the one seen here:

http://www.openwebosproject.org/

I DO NOT want to steal theirs. It's done with Enyo... and I am no thief.But my client really wants this on his site. I've been looking around for a while and either I'm not telling Google the right keywords, or maybe there is another buzzword.

Basically, use a carousel (or slider) that keeps the center image at 100% opacity but fade the previous and next images to something like 40% opacity.

I can do jQuery sliders and carousels in my sleep... but this one has me a bit perplexed.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

-RK-

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: jQuery Carousel with faded left and right images

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: jQuery Carousel with faded left and right images

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

There is a large list of jQuery carousels here. I'm sure that many will expose an API that would enable you to fade the adjacent images.

The page includes a link towards the top to another 80 jQuery sliders.

The terminology is all very loose, and what someone would refer to as a carousel, others would call a slider :whatsthat:

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 29 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Personally, I would show your client some of these impressive carousels and persuade him to choose one, rather than trying to modify something to replicate the behaviour of the one he found. It will make your life a lot easier, and there are plenty for him/her to choose from :)

Mm, a lot of these carousels already show faded adjacent images, so I'm not sure how much research you actually did :dontgetit:

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 29 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

BTW This interesting page suggests that we don't use carousels, if we are interested in money. People suffer from banner blindness.

Personally, I would follow the KISS principle, and not let the banner dominate the page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Andrew! All good and logical suggestions. I sent him a page with tons of carousels and sliders. Unfortunately, he has it in his head that is what he wants.Clients like the sliders on homepages. Especially since they rarely have any content but they want the coolest site on the 'net. I did manage to talk him out of music on the page. They almost always want music...

It shouldn't be a real big deal. I didn't want to reverse engineer the original example and mixing Enyo and jQuery could be a disaster.

Anyway, thanks much!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

No worries. In the first link I provided there are, as I mentioned, a number of carousels which are very similar to the one you referenced. Good luck. Edited: Oh, not sure now whether you are using jQuery or Enyo, but it shouldn't be hard to find similar Enyo plug-ins.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 29 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

I actually only recently discovered Enyo. Looks like it could be useful. As for jQuery carousels / sliders, I have a whole bookmarks folder full. I never notice the sliders... I'm more focused on getting the info I want. I try to tell clients that and it usually works. KISS is best. I try to design so the stuff visitors want is no more than 3 clicks away. You also have to make "Romper Room" sites. I've encountered people who don't know what the back button is... and copy/paste is even more rare. So, years ago, I decided I'm not going to educate... just take their money and move on. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1