Locked unanswered questions.

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 358 Views - Last Post: 29 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Locked unanswered questions.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I noticed that on the front page, in the unanswered question list, that locked questions with no replies show up there. I feel like they shouldn't as it wastes 20 seconds of my time reading the question and realize that I've been duped. =)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Locked unanswered questions.

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Locked unanswered questions.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Like this one that has the lock at the top of the page BEFORE the question itself, letting you know you shouldn't even bother reading it?

Attached Image

"Gimme teh codez" questions aren't shown in the main page as unanswered because they *are* answered.

Locked threads aren't worthless. Often they have been answered satisfactorily and are simply done and run their course. Sometimes they are locked because the OP was an idiot and locking them stops them from becoming a flame war thread - and the scolding serves to let others know not to repeat the newbie's blunderous insults. Sometimes its the Java forum and someone there just closes them with no explanation rather than using the "too vague to be answerable" or "gimme the codez" response. Regardless of the reason, there is an icon at the top letting you know not to waste your 20 seconds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

A lot of the threads that are closed like this appear to be accidental duplicates more than anything else. I agree they should be deleted to keep the forums clean.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

I believe the OP is referring to the main page where there is a small list of unanswered questions, but there is no padlock to indicate that some are locked, so we need to click and open the link before discovering this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I can't change the filter on that to ignore things like locked and unapproved threads. The moderation team can delete the threads, and the Mentors/Forum Leaders/Team can merge as well. Those two options will at least get the threads off the New Topics scroll menu on the homepage. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm perfectly aware of the value of locked threads. I simply meant that keeping them off the unanswered question list on the home page would help the aides see what actually still needs to be answered. I don't want to click on an "unanswered" question to find it's locked. You can't see it's locked until you've redirected to it.

Not a big deal, but I thought it's be a nice fixup. andrewsw nailed it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1