3 Replies - 849 Views - Last Post: 01 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

App that sorts windows based on titles

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hello, my first post here and English isn't my native language, so please don't be too harsh on my grammar.

So, here's the deal - once I knew C/C++/Java on an average basis, but haven't coded in years, but still remember basics (methods, classes etc). And I would like to program desktop app for Windows that sorts open windows on a screen based on their titles. It would allow set their position on a screen, size (at first). The thing is, I don't know where to look because of my language barrier, tried google, but didn't really knew what to look for. I know I can program that kinda app if only knew where to look. And should I stick to C++ or pick something simpler?

Thanks,
CJ

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: App that sorts windows based on titles

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: App that sorts windows based on titles

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

The kind of software you are suggesting is a "Window Manager". There are a lot out there already so if you look around, you might find that you don't need to write any code at all.

I suggest that Java is a bad choice for this because it is not suited for interacting with the operating system directly. C or C++ would be a better choice. You might find that C# has features to make it even easier (C# is very similar to Java).

Beyond that, you want to learn about the Windows API. It will have the functionality to let you interact with the windows.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Windows API is exactly I was looking for. Looked into C# and yes, it's very similar to Java.
Thanks, Your answer couldn't be more perfect ;)

CJ
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

Glad I could help. Most of the time, knowing what to google is half the battle. Good luck with writing your app!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1