10 Replies - 1339 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

pre-hackathon jitters: should I stay or should I go?

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'm signed up to go to my first hackathon this weekend, about three hours from where I live, which I heard about through my local python user group (someone posted it in the google group, though it looks like no one from that group is going). I don't expect to know anyone at the event, have no job, or relevant projects to show off, and am a little self-conscious about whether I'll feel really out of place and outpaced. I do have a CS degree and think I'm decent at Python, have a pretty wide (but not necessarily deep) knowledge of other languages, tools, and frameworks, and am generally pretty personable, but am having second thoughts about going. The event is 'sold' out (it was free, but all the registration spots are full) and there is a waitlist for cancellations, so I should probably let them know ASAP if I'm not going to make it.

Does anyone have any thoughts or words to put me at ease? Or would you suggest giving up the spot to someone better qualified? My goals for going were mainly to network, get some experience working with others on something small in a short period of time, and sharpen my skills, though I'm not looking for a job in the Tennesssee area as I am set to move to Portland in a few weeks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: pre-hackathon jitters: should I stay or should I go?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: pre-hackathon jitters: should I stay or should I go?

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

What sort of 'hackathon' are we talking about?
Never mind - a bit of data mining and I am guessing this place: http://hacknashville.com/ ?

As for staying or going - hells bells, don't be a pansy.. if you want to be more comfortable at these then you need to go, right? Not to mention you are not being locked in there.. you can leave at any time.

not to mention there's this guide:

One Developers Guide to @HackNashville

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 30 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 April 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

As for staying or going - hells bells, don't be a pansy..

Or go ahead and be a pansy, if that suits you. But either way, go meet these people and check out what they're doing. What can go wrong?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

I remember going to my first martial arts class. I was really nervous and asked the instructor if I would be OK as I had never done any martial arts before. He smiled and said, "Neither had any of us until we did some." I think you might be in the same position now. If you are going to go to these things, you have to start somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

You guys are right, I am being a pansy. I'm going to suck it up and go. My main fear was that everyone would have people they knew there already and it'd be hard to find people to hack with. But I realized worst case scenario I still get to socialize and even if I do end up hacking alone it's no big deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

From prior ones I've been to: come with some ideas, a brief 'here is mah skillz' speech, show up, scope out the people there, and just ask a few folks if they wouldn't mind you joining their group (and throw'em that skillz speech).

Side note - you are now morally obligated to tell us how it went.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

It went pretty well and I had a great time! Even though my team didn't get as much as I would have liked due to hardware issues, I learned a lot about django and git as well. Glad I went!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

So.. spill it! More details.. was there a theme? What did you project do? What did you bring? Did you meet people? Did you stay up all night? Was it hard to find your team? What did other people do for projects? What won? Anything super kookie go down?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 May 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

So.. spill it! More details.. was there a theme? What did you project do? What did you bring? Did you meet people? Did you stay up all night? Was it hard to find your team? What did other people do for projects? What won? Anything super kookie go down?

Hah! Ok, so:

was there a theme?

No, there was no theme. The slide on the first day said hacks could be anything from apps to bug fixes.

What did you project do?

We set out to extend an opensource project kegbot to integrate custom functionality such as displaying estimates of users' BAC, tracking their consumption, and supporting drinking games. However, we were using a legacy django app which is no longer supported in favor of the android app. None of us were familiar with django and we spent the majority of the weekend trying to understand how the project worked and troubleshooting gremlins in the kegboard-kegbotserver interface.

What did you bring?

I brought my desktop and my embarrassingly limited knowledge of git

Did you meet people?

Yes! The atmosphere was pretty laidback and social.

Did you stay up all night?

No, I got good sleep both nights.

Was it hard to find your team?

Ideas were presented at the beginning, and I liked the kegbot idea because he mentioned we'd be hacking on django, which I've been interested in learning.

What did other people do for projects?

Admittedly, most of the projects were cooler than ours. One team made a Linkedin monitoring platform for recruiters, another made a fully-featured iphone and web app for musicians to connect and share music with their fans. Those two were my favorites, but there were plenty of great ideas.

What won?

One team made a wi-fi enabled smoke detector, that can text you if you're house is burning down. I'm not sure if they implemented the texting capability, but they took the trophy.

Anything super kookie go down?

Not that I can remember. There was a lot of beer and goofing off in general.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Awesome! Good deal!

Make any new special lady or guy friends? Dish on it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 May 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Awesome! Good deal!

Make any new special lady or guy friends? Dish on it!

Not really, but I'm moving far, far away in a week so that wasn't a goal of mine (although it would've been nice). Like I said though, I did learn a bit about django and git, so that was nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1