ISP Stealing My Money

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 1473 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Re: ISP Stealing My Money

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

And yet, I'm not ashamed at all. I guess I'm just a free spirit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'm currently in a battle with comcast. I get basic cable tv and two boxes as apart of my rental agreement with my apartment complex. Any additional services that you receive need to be billed straight from comcast. I can get behind that, but what they don't tell you is that if you get a 3rd box outside of what the complex provides your 2nd box from the complex is no longer free and begins charging at 9.99 for 6 months then at 14.99 after. No reduction in what you pay in rent or anything. I've been fighting with numerous reps telling them that it is considered double billing and have only managed to get ~100 dollars in credits, but nothing to remove the charges. If I had a choice I'd drop them in a heartbeat, but because of the contract with the complex i'm stuck with them so I have to call them every month to get another credit (Their words as they said they can't re-code the box to remove it as a charge.) I think my next step is to do what no2 suggested and borrow a letter head from our company lawyer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

and have only managed to get ~100 dollars in credits

Which is a pretty definitive way for them to say that they agree with you. Companies won't hand over a cent if they don't have to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

I am in the U.S., and Australia might be different, but I always make sure to pay for things like this or big ticket items with a credit card. If I have any trouble with a purchase or unauthorized charges, I just call the bank that holds the card and file a dispute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm always amazed anyone allows debit transactions on their bank account. Throw all of that shit on the card, you get mad points and a record of spent money. Bam.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

yup, just used a ton of rewards points for footlocker and nike gift cards. basically paid for my entire home theater system using amazon gift cards doing the same. it's the only way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

To those with the Time Warner stories, I have a warning for you: keep a close eye on your credit report. If you think you've "won" your dispute with them and go on your merry way, do not forget to keep a written record from TW saying the issue is settled because those guys WILL put it on your credit report as a written off debt.

Way back when in Tampa I had TW cable for internet only (Roadrunner is what they called it) and I was one of the few on my block to have it. Initially speeds were crazy fast (we're talking 1995 fast here) but as they sold the service to more folks the speeds dropped but they were still well within the ranges I was told I'd get when I signed up for their service. All was good with the world.

Then, one day, they decided to begin offering digital television service. Now, I don't know if it's still done this way but back then all the signal (TV and web) came through the single coax cable to your house which meant that it arrived in your neighborhood the same way: through a single feed. In TW's case, one day my speed dropped from broadband normal to I-may-die-of-old-age-waiting-on-this-shit ancient, 2400 baud dialup. We're talking literally a single day it went from fine to shat. Naturally, I call them up and the customer service girl cheerfully informs me that because they've rolled out digital TV to my neighborhood that they took bandwidth from the net signal to devote to their new digital TV offering. I helpfully informed her that the product I was receiving wasn't not only not up to minimum promised speeds but was abysmally much slower than that. I asked if TW was aware of the effect their rolling out this new service (that had exactly zero demand for in my neighborhood) had on their existing paying customers. She said, they did. I then asked what my new bill will be because I was getting charged for something I wasn't close to receiving and she said that my bill would remain unchanged.

Long story shorter, after much discussion back and forth with a couple of escalations to people who could actually make such decisions, the cancellation fee was waived, my service was cancelled and they were to send a rep out to pick up their equipment (cable modem) which was accomplished within a day or two. End of story, right? Wrong.

About 2-3 years later, I suddenly see a new entry on my credit report from Brighthouse Network (what TW changed their name to) showing a chargeoff on a debt for $330. Needless to say, I'm on the phone to them demanding an explanation and they inform me that I never returned their equipment. Once we determined they were claiming I kept their cable modem I then asked where they got a $330 valuation for a fucking $30 cable modem. They didn't know.

Naturally, being a few years later, I didn't have the receipt their rep gave me when he picked up the modem. I did, however, dispute the charge with the three credit agencies (because I was idealistic and incredibly naive) and, despite the fact that TW nor Brighthouse ever sent me any notice/request/demand to return their equipment nor a bill for $330 for replacement of it, the three credit agencies said the charge was legit. Needless to say, I didn't pay it and it stayed right there on my credit report for the full 7 years...which was around 9-10 years after I had terminated service with their predecessor.

Just a long-winded cautionary tale folks. Keep your receipts. These days, for stuff like that, I scan that shit and then email it to myself so I don't lose it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostCraig328, on 06 May 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

I scan that shit and then email it to myself so I don't lose it.

Think I'll start doing just that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

You can also add notes to the Credit Report also, it isn't a one way process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

It is terrible to see this many bad stories and I have had my share of some here in Canada. But a few tips to help you guys out in the future...

1) Every time you talk to someone on the phone, keep your own records of who you talked to (their first name), their employee number (they have to give this to you if they request it) and the time you started and ended the call.

2) Make sure that a case number is opened and have them recite the note they are putting on file back to you before you hang up so you can make sure they are saying the right thing.

3) A general tip, ask to speak to their supervisor and if they say that there isn't one on the floor right now, call BS and demand to be escalated to whoever they speak to. I worked inside a call center and I know that they have someone on the floor at all times as part of company policy.

4) When returning equipment, get your receipt, ask for the name of the person who took the equipment, write it on the receipt and the time you made the drop off if it isn't on the receipt already.

5) Watch your statements carefully for the first few months after cancelling a service. Look for those charges specifically to make sure they didn't still make it on there.

It really comes down to a war of documentation. When I get in a dispute I can call up the provider, state the name of the person, their ID, what it says in the file, the time they wrote it and everything. Then of course you know you are completely in the right and can stop payments and everything with confidence. Plus if it escalates, you would have a slew of info to take to a lawyer showing the full record of what has happened.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Derpicorn

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 06 May 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

It is terrible to see this many bad stories and I have had my share of some here in Canada. But a few tips to help you guys out in the future...

1) Every time you talk to someone on the phone, keep your own records of who you talked to (their first name), their employee number (they have to give this to you if they request it) and the time you started and ended the call.

2) Make sure that a case number is opened and have them recite the note they are putting on file back to you before you hang up so you can make sure they are saying the right thing.

3) A general tip, ask to speak to their supervisor and if they say that there isn't one on the floor right now, call BS and demand to be escalated to whoever they speak to. I worked inside a call center and I know that they have someone on the floor at all times as part of company policy.

4) When returning equipment, get your receipt, ask for the name of the person who took the equipment, write it on the receipt and the time you made the drop off if it isn't on the receipt already.

5) Watch your statements carefully for the first few months after cancelling a service. Look for those charges specifically to make sure they didn't still make it on there.

It really comes down to a war of documentation. When I get in a dispute I can call up the provider, state the name of the person, their ID, what it says in the file, the time they wrote it and everything. Then of course you know you are completely in the right and can stop payments and everything with confidence. Plus if it escalates, you would have a slew of info to take to a lawyer showing the full record of what has happened.

:)/>

I was maticulous like this once, and it really paid. I had rented a washer/dryer for a time, and when I cancelled I was behind two payments (like $30 total). They kept calling to harass me, even when I had given them a set date that I was going to pay. I started recording the calls and informing them when I answered, and they would get all flustered saying I can't do that and hang up. Finally I called and informed the agent that I was recording the call, and he didn't hang up. His response? "So are we, so that's cool." That made me happy - I explained what was happening (I was getting bombarded by calls over a $30 bill that I had already given a date I would pay on) and he said it should have taken me out of the system. I told him that at this point I just wish to talk to a supervisor so I could try and straighten this out once and for all and not deal with it any more. Very politely, very calmly, and thanked him for his time. He passed me off to a supervisor who got very confrontational as I tried to calmly explain that I was happy to pay and would do so within 2 weeks but that I wanted to stop receiving calls. I explained that by calling me incessently even after I've made arrangements to pay, his company is harassing me, and if they continue that I'll just go to the BBB instead and they can sort it out. He smugly says "they won't help you" and so I wished him a good evening and packaged up everything I'd recorded with them and sent it off to the BBB. Few days later I get a message from the BBB stating that the company was going to drop late fees as an apology and agreed to settle at $10, which I was happy to pay then and there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +