8 Replies - 573 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2013 - 09:00 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Homework reponse

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

OK so I have read the few comments and will not bother the Dreamincode Demi-Gods with my simplistic homework questions.
A little bit of background; I am in the class to learn CS but am not able to get any extra help from my Prof and the other classmates ( like myself)all have families & jobs. The textbook would be great but is written as though the reader already has a basic programming background.
The only help I have had this far has been with a 45 dollar an hour tutor but I can't afford to keep doing that although he was worth every penny. He explained the why and how, let me make teachable mistakes.

To the other responses, we have gotten to making classes and objects of the class but this problem ( I remember from class)was not supposed to need a class to work.

I don't need work done for me but it would be great to have the blanks filled in and explained so the rest of my code made sense.
Thanks for the round kick.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Homework reponse

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Homework reponse

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

So.. is this a 'post a job' question? I am a bit lost.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

It's not a matter of not posting simplistic homework questions. Those are always welcome -- see the quality of questions that show up in the C/C++ forum and you can see some very simple questions. What matters is that you show effort in trying to answer the homework question. By just dropping the code on us and saying "I don't get it." shows a complete lack of effort on your part. In the text field where you put in your question and your code, the last two bullet points are very relevant.

Tell us what errors you're getting
Tell us what you've tried/searched for

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

POPULAR

I am in the class to learn CS but am not able to get any extra help from my Prof and the other classmates

You should get ALL the help you can get from your professors, isn't that what you are paying them.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Syntax and Grammar of programming are not as important as the basic general concepts.
Understand these and you can apply them to any programming language.
  • Input Data
  • Output Data
  • Conditionals
  • Methods (Functions and Sub-Routines)
  • Repetitions

• Representation Of Data
  • Storage Of Data
  • Retrieval of Data
  • Processing of Data

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

You can always grab a different book that is designed for a total beginner. There are loads of books on the subject. What is the actual homework question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostMichael26, on 02 May 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

I am in the class to learn CS but am not able to get any extra help from my Prof and the other classmates

You should get ALL the help you can get from your professors, isn't that what you are paying them.

This. Even when everyone left class 2 hours early, I would stick around so I could bug the professor. I was paying for a second degree out of my own pocket. I wasn't just paying for the building and the books. I was paying for the professor's time to teach me. Demand that someone at the school help teach you.* Unless this schooling is free or only the cost of the book.

* Obviously it must be a reasonable request, not that he comes over to your house at 2am for a six hour tutor session.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

* Obviously it must be a reasonable request, not that he comes over to your house at 2am for a six hour tutor session.

Unless Van Halen recommends the teacher. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

POPULAR

If I may server my own self up as an example, check out my post history. The first posts I made last year were... wow... embarrassing to me now. I was really, really ignorant of a some pretty basic concepts. And yet, I got a lot of help because I talked about my problem in terms of "this is what I tried, why isn't it working?" That will pretty much always get you answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1