4 Replies - 7348 Views - Last Post: 02 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Sony Vaio with random Blue Screen of Death

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

So I'm currently trying to fix my friends sony vaio and I am completly stumped. I've had issues with blue screens before, however I've always been able to diagnose the problem, and successfully fix it.

First thing I did was run my UBCD pendrive with all the diagnostic tools on from boot.

Test #1 : memory. Memtest86 (and +) passed with no errors.

Test #2 : cpu. Temperature and Stress tests passed with no errors.

Test #3 : hdd. It currently has a brand new samsung drive, but I tested it anyway. No errors.

Test #4 : graphics. Video stress test passed with no errors.

Test #5 : cmos. Successfully cleared the CMOS with no errors.

Ok so after that I pretty much started running out of ideas. It will boot from hard drive into Windows 7, and will last a random amount of time before a blue screen appears forcing a reboot. Sometimes it can be 5 minutes, and sometimes it can be an hour. This is completely idle with no applications running and just sat at the desktop.

If I run a liveUSB running lubuntu, It will also last a random amount of time before displaying a kernel panic error. I've done some research into the kernal panic, and most seem to be hardware (RAM) issues, yet this RAM is passing all the memory tests.

After seeing the kernel panic message mention the CPU, I decided to strip down the laptop and re-seat the processor. This did not solve the problem, however I can confirm there is no debris build up in the fan/heatsink which means there should be no overheating problems.

Images of kernel panic when I ran a ubuntu live cd:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(I have no images of the blue screen due to it only flashing on and then rebooting).

Anyone any idea what's causing this error or how to fix it? Or is this lost cause?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sony Vaio with random Blue Screen of Death

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Sony Vaio with random Blue Screen of Death

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Is that you trying to boot linux of some sort? Have you looked into that 'kernal panic' error message?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yes this was trying to boot with a ubuntu live cd. I did some research on the kernel panic but most help threads on the linux forums seem to be people with RAM issues. All the memory tests returned no errors with the RAM.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Have you tried re-seating the RAM?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have. It currently has 3GB (1GB + 2GB), I tried using each one individually, and each one in both slots yet I still get an error.

I did a little more research on the panic and from what I could find it's a pretty rare error, apart from specific model laptops (samsung seem to have a bug which causes a kernel panic when there is no problem, something to do with newer UEFI settings).

Here is an interesting post on kernel trap about the kernel panic:

Some probable causes from people who have experienced the same error:

Here is my top cause list. In general, this is not the CPU . This is:
1. Most probably, overclocking or high temperature in the case/near the RAM, CPU or chipset.
2. Very probably, the RAM chips or settings (mem testing tools may report no error but this is not sufficient, Linux/users can stress more memory than any tool).
3. Probably, the PSU that is insufficient (especially when the error occurs when accessing disks or after having added a hardware, or plugging a USB device).
4. Sometimes, cheap hardware on chipset/mobo.
5. Rarely, the BIOS wrongly configures something (my case since manually I managed to stabilize the box!).

Also some people having the error from blown and leaking capacitors.

I'm thinking if I strip it down to the bare bones, wifi card out, cd-rom out and anything else I can spare (lose the screen and hook up to external maybe?) and then if it works, just start adding things back one at a time.

Any ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1