5 Replies - 8162 Views - Last Post: 05 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Is the Visual Assist extension for Visual Studio's Worth the money

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hey everyone, so I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on whether the Visual Assist extension for visual studio's is worth what it costs from people who have used it.

Originally I was looking for a way to get better keyword highlighting in VS and a friend of my recommended Visual Assist to me. So I downloaded the 30 day trial but only got a few days to play around with it because of work related issues that came up.

From them few days I noticed that it had amazing keyword highlighting and now that it is gone it feels weird not having it. It also greatly improved IntelliSense but that is the only improvements I was able to see in my short time using it. So I am kind of on the fence about spending $99 on just them features.

So my question is what else does it bring to the table other then that? I noticed it has refactoring features (Though I didn't get to try them out so I don't know how effective they are), and my friend also says it helps with navigating code on large projects and has some pretty nice autocomplete acronyms and snippet features.

So basically if you have used it or own it is the extension worth the money in your eyes? As of right now I am more of a hobby programmer that works on a few opensource projects, though I do want to get into programming for a career in the future.

Thanks for your guy's input and sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this post.

This post has been edited by Zereo: 03 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is the Visual Assist extension for Visual Studio's Worth the money

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is the Visual Assist extension for Visual Studio's Worth the money

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

99$ for a syntax highlighter and redundant intellisense? ... no, it's not worth it from my perspective.

I am against visual studio and most IDE's however, so my opinions are somewhat biased around that. If you are looking for suggestions to editors at all, I highly suggest sublime (http://www.sublimetext.com/). Sublime support a huge base of plugins that do everything that Visual Assistant will do, but the best part of it is that they are all free and open source.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

If you are using Visual Studio 2010, and you simply must have Intellisense with your C++ code, then yes it is worth the money, especially for large projects. If you can move up to Visual Studio 2012, then you'll get Intellisense back again for C++ code.

For me, I started writing C and C++ code using 'vi' before there was Intellisense. I don't see what the value of it is because I take time to look at the documentation and/or the headers/source of the functions that I'm calling.

View Postjjl, on 04 May 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

99$ for ... redundant intellisense?

It's not redundant for VS2010. VS2010 dropped Intellisense for C/C++ code because the feature was too buggy to ship. People held out hope that it would come back in an SP1 or SP2 release, but didn't really make it back into the product until VS2012.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

99$ for a syntax highlighter and redundant intellisense? ... no, it's not worth it from my perspective.

That is exactly how I feel, I'm not that rich as to fork over a $100 dollars for something as trivial as a syntax highlighter and improved intellisense. Which is why I was wondering about the other features of the extension.

I highly suggest sublime (http://www.sublimetext.com/).

Hmm that does actually look like a nice editor, though it looks like it costs $70 dollars for continued use? I am not to sure on this since it says the evaluation has no time limit...

Also what languages does it support? My main languages as of right now are C# and C++ which is why I gravitate towards VS.

If you are using Visual Studio 2010, and you simply must have Intellisense with your C++ code, then yes it is worth the money, especially for large projects. If you can move up to Visual Studio 2012, then you'll get Intellisense back again for C++ code.

Currently I am on VS2012 which does have intellisense but the VA extension is a major improvement over the standard intellisense. Though my main reason for considering this purchase is because of the syntax highlighter. I'm more of a visual person and it helps greatly when working with large projects to easily distinguish between different parts of the code by their colors.

But anyways Visual Assist was kind enough to give me a few more days to play with the extension to help make up my mind, so I plan on testing it out then making my decision. Thanks for the input though everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hmm that does actually look like a nice editor, though it looks like it costs $70 dollars for continued use? I am not to sure on this since it says the evaluation has no time limit...

Also what languages does it support? My main languages as of right now are C# and C++ which is why I gravitate towards VS.

You can use it for free as long as you feel, however purchasing a license is nice gesture if you are going to be a continuing user.

Remember it is not an IDE, but a very fance text editor. It has syntax support for just about every language you can think of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

If you are a student, Whole Tomato gives amazing student discounts. A friend of mine went back to college in his 50's and got a great deal on Visual Assist. He simply had to have syntax highlighting and couldn't live without it on VS2010.

I guess I must have missed a feature of Visual Assist when I was giving it a spin and eventually decided not to use it. What do you mean by "when working with large projects to easily distinguish between different parts of the code by their colors" ?

To me it didn't seem to render methods that were part of a interface any differently from methods that were virtual, or static. It wasn't showing any code as being unreachable vs reachable. It wasn't showing me any difference between public, protected, or private methods or variables. It wasn't showing me any difference between functions that lived in one library vs. another library. It wasn't showing me which variables or methods were accessible from the current method I was in versus the ones which would be inaccessible. If such features exist in the current version (but not in the version I tried back in 2011), then I may give Visual Assist another try.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1