What game are you developing on the side?

• (4 Pages)
  • +

46 Replies - 8108 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2014 - 04:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What game are you developing on the side?

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm taking a small break from 3D.
I'm doing a challenge to create a 2D side scroller in 40 devellopment hours. (much like a challenge from an article from gamedev: how to build a game in a week from scratch with no budget (link doesnt work))
I was talking with some friends about that article. They said, "could you do that?".

So now, I'm doing it.

I'm at hour 7 now.
Got the core "engine" running. States, some factorys, input, some sound, ect.
Now mostly it's about actually finishing the game, creating some decent graphics, enemies, ect.

I have never done a side scroller before. I'm using python with pygame (can't get Opengl 3.3 to work on debian (my main os), waiting for mesa 10.0, otherwise I would just use that). I've done some python, but no pygame.

It's quite interesting.

This post has been edited by axel1994: 05 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

What peak my interest in skipping a step was the thought (while I was playing MAA) that I could do this. Then I thought 'You made 3d chemistry modeler for your final project and you haven't even tried to code a game yet'

So now I am gathering information. I think the first thing I am going to do is just An Attack game, 1 PC Controlled Model vs a CPU Controlled Model. Nothing Fancy, doesn't even have to be in 3d.

I leaning towards VB right now (thought as I mess with Unity today, I might have an engine in mind when I expand it) and no real great graphics, just a project I can say I created it and I have started.

Eventually I want to build a 3rd RPG Shooter, but right now it is baby step time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

So I started on a simple program today. Currently it has the ability to draw 2 circles and fill in information in 2 labels. I am working on the progress bar and statistics for attack and defense. Maybe I will through in some back single graphics for attacks, but the whole point it is a starting point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ok I scratched everything down to the extreme basics, and got my first game created. Now to get the bugs out to see how it plays. Then I can figure out how to add sprites and draw sprites. Right now is 50% Working model of a text based, watered down, very basic version of my game. But it works with bugs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Can just anyone post here? I recently started making a top-down shooter with the graphics taken from here. They are free to use.

I am blogging about it over at: http://www.dreaminco.../cat-374-pygame

Here is the current screenshot (from blog):

Posted Image

You can also pull the project off of my github at https://github.com/g...coder/pyg_plane

I plan to add all kinds of whizbang features but I want to take it slow. This is really hard to do.

This post has been edited by MentalFloss: 19 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

View Postaaron1178, on 04 May 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

<Snip>

Are you still developing the engine?

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 20 January 2014 - 03:33 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed large quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I wonder why i was sent to inactive thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

People can respond if they want. It's a pinned thread, and people can see that you responded. If nobody has anything to say, people just don't respond.

On a serious note- are you looking for a pat on the back because you want to make a game engine? It seems like that's what the bulk of your threads are about. Rather than complaining and talking about what you want to do, go out and actually try to learn some programming. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

I'm working on a platformer game about a Hispter In Space for the OneGameAMonth Challenge. I'm also making "Pong On Drugs" which is pretty much normal pong but really random artwork and just stupid rules as I learn to implement them
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Lately I'm working on a Tower Defense game alongside with some friends

So far we have produced the following:
Posted Image

It's not a traditional tower defense.
The map is open, you are allowed to place towers anywhere on the map.
Enemies find their own pathfinding and might destroy your towers.

Now we are still develloping some mechanics and then we can really do the designing.

We call ourselfs "Faceless".
We got our own little website set up, but it's not finished at all (work in progress).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

Currently working on a DX Ball clone. I'm quite pleased with how most of the elements of the game works. The game is cross-platform ( Linux/Windows/Mac ) and the only dependency is SDL2.

Most elements are in place, including particle effects, multiplayer support and a working menu system for setting configuration. It still needs lots of testing and improvements. Particularly the options system, I'm far from pleased about how it looks. I also need to improve the multiplayer system.

Screenshot( put in spoiler because of size )
Spoiler

You can check it out on my GitHub.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

View Postaaron1178, on 04 May 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

I've recently been promoted to forum leader for Game Development, and I've been trying to think of a way to get game developers, of any level interested not just come here for help and answers. So without further a due, I wan't too know what you're developing in the way of a game. You can post descriptions of your game, screenshots, videos, really whatever you want related to that project.

What I'm working on

I'm working on an engine from scratch, codename [projectX]. I've put so far roughly 2 months into the development of [ProjectX]. I've been developing [ProjectX] with DirectX and C++. So far I've developed the following:

• Application / DirectX Manager
  • GUI(Thanks to CEGUI)
  • My own mesh file format - Which includes a Input/Output library
  • A gamestate manager (If the game is in Gameplay, Start Menu or Pause Menu)
  • A translator, which reads the mesh from file, creates Vertex and Index Buffers and also loads textures
  • I have a Start Menu and a Pause menu (with complements to the GUI)

I also have a lot of stuff todo:

• I have to create a basic Blender Exporter addon
  • An asset manager(If it can't find a mesh, it will load an error mesh - Helps reduce errors)
  • A game world system
  • A game-level format - That will be able to be saved to file(1 file, that has the world and object data in it)
  • A HUD
  • A character system - Includes a level system
  • Implement Havok Physics as my Physics Engine
  • Mesh Animation - Using Havok Animation(If possible)

I don't currently have any screenshots available, but I will upload some tomorrow. So far, I estimate a year for completion on the above todo list. Then I will debug what I have(Because I have some bugs already).

So that's what I am working on as of this moment :)/>/>/> What are you working on as a side game project?

What can you say your level of C++ programming is? I mean are you consider a professional? Are you educated with a Major in Computer Science or are you self-taught? Do you have any resources that you know from heart that for creating a game engine? Just curiosity ! Good luck on your project ! Hope its well enough and it actually sees the light of day one day lol :) cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Currently developing a game similar to ZOIDS MMORPG, with the player controlling a powerful zoid.
The github repo:
https://github.com/Shadowys/Blitz
I mostly use Boo, a variant relative of Python, in Unity3d and I can say the scripting experience with it is better than with C#. :P/>/> Overall, experience also taught me that loosely coupled systems really save time in scaling big. I rewrote the game twice. First time was due to inexperience (I actually used some kind of twisted idea, to rotate the camera, too bad the code was deleted), Second time was due to the inability of the game to scale up, and generally because six months of tough coding in Python (I created a roster planner and analyzer for my company, damn Oracle) somehow just teaches you a thing or two about functional and OO programming practices.

The team is still looking for devs (I'm still the only one, with other guys in the team being design guys), so if you are looking for something fun to do with Boo/Python, C#, (sorry about JS :P/>/>) pm me about it. :)/>/>

Some pics of the game in dev,

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

It is hard to tell what is going on in those pictures.. when you say 'zoid' do you mean "I call the Green Ranger!"-zoid, or something else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 May 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

It is hard to tell what is going on in those pictures.. when you say 'zoid' do you mean "I call the Green Ranger!"-zoid, or something else?

Lol you can google it. Zoids are robots that look like wild animals that have some sentience. Each zoid has a pilot, which is the player. The first pic is the zoid in weapon mode, showing crosshairs and targetting systems, the second is the zoid running while the third is the zoid shooting a missile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +