• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 5048 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2013 - 03:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Vb 6 not recognise Access 2010 (accdb)

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hi

After a gap of nearly 10 years have installed VB6 (and service pack 1) on laptop (Windows Vista) The Microsoft ADO Data Control 6.0 (Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider) does not recognise Access 2010 (accdb ext) but it does recognise Access 2003 (mb).

Would appreciate help re:

1. Do i need to locate and install (separately) service packs 2 - 8 and in sequence? or just go straight to 8?

2. Is there an update to Jet 4.0 that will recognise Access 2010? if so does anyone know where i can locate it (for Vista)

Help very much appreciated as i am totally stuck

Thank you in advance
:helpsmilie:/> :helpsmilie:/> :helpsmilie:/>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Vb 6 not recognise Access 2010 (accdb)

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Vb 6 not recognise Access 2010 (accdb)

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Why start with obsolete technology (VB6)? Get up to speed with VB.NET, the Express version is free.

I believe this page will install the required (ACE) component that you need for Access 2007/10.
Provider: “Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0”

I do not know whether you can go straight to SP8, (or whether you will be able to find all the previous SPs :dontgetit:).

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 06 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thank you Andrew for your help with my first question :-) I downloaded VB10 Express as suggested - and yes it would appear that i can connect to Access 2010 - as even though the environment is strange to me, i did manage to successfully test a 2010 database connection.

My new question is: does this Express Version allow me to package up software for distribution ie can i make an executable!

If not can you advise me on what i should be looking to buy that would allow me to connect to Access 2010 and create an executable.

I have my VB6 software (newly purchased) however getting it to install is a total pain as it comes up with an initial error messages that it is incompatible... which was cured with a download. I would really appreciate your advice - upgrade VB6 or ditch it and buy VB?

I really appreciate your kindness in helping me - did not realise how rusty i am and how much VB has moved on... i am using old mental models to try and get to where i am going... and doing so very slowly! therefore your help is very much sought and gratefully received :-)

Regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

My new question is: does this Express Version allow me to package up software for distribution ie can i make an executable!

Yes, VS Express makes executable.

If not can you advise me on what i should be looking to buy that would allow me to connect to Access 2010 and create an executable.

Any Visual Studios in recent memory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Related threads merged. Please avoid duplicate posting.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have my VB6 software (newly purchased) however getting it to install is a total pain as it comes up with an initial error messages that it is incompatible... which was cured with a download. I would really appreciate your advice - upgrade VB6 or ditch it and buy VB?

You bought vb6 software? As in an IDE or software made by vb6?

If you are starting out fresh, and it sounds like you are after that ten year gap, you should consider getting up to speed with the whole VB.NET movement. VB6 is fine, but is has been relegated to legacy/maintenance.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have my VB6 software (newly purchased)

Howzat? !!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yes, VS Express makes executable.

Any Visual Studios in recent memory.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

Thank you all for your replies :-) I am trying to hit the floor running, and felt that i could do this more easily by returning to VB6 as I'm most familiar with VB6 ie how to connect to a remote Access Db and create an executable package etc. I found out how to connect to a remote Access Db with VB 2010 Express - but could not find out how to create an executable package... I would very much appreciate being told the steps on how i can do this in VB 2010 Express - so that i can then consider either uninstalling VB6 or seeing if i can keep both programs (does anyone know if by keeping both VB6 and VB 2010 Express, there will be a computer conflict?). My operating system is Windows Vista

Regards...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

... as I said - it makes it for you. In your solution's folder.. there should be a 'bin' folder.. in there is your .EXE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I trust this is the forum!

As suggested by Andrew i downloaded and ...

installed the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 file as suggested by you from the Microsoft.com site (today)

I followed the installation instructions - then again placed an ADODC object on my VB6 form - went to set the connection properties - could not see Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 in the drop down list of options, the nearest being "Microsoft Office 12.0 Database Access Engine OLE DB Provider.

When i then go to the next screen which should ... allow me to locate the Access Db to make the connection to - firstly there is no ...build option and secondly if i manually copy in the path to the database this is the error message that i get is

"the test connection failed because of an error in initialising provider. Could not find file 'C:\KS3 CMP\CMP 2010\CMP KS3 2010"

I would be very grateful for all and any assistance with this - am so loathe to give up and walk away to be honest

Regards

Jephor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

A few answers to your questions: Yes, you can have both VS6 and any version of VS.Net on the same machine. I have VS6 and VS2010 on mine. Also, I'm not sure if the old ADO data control has been kept up to date with forward compatibility with Access versions. You can move to ADO objects and use Access 2010, though. This is more similar to the way the .Net connection works, too. The Data Control concept never really worked well; much too rigid and bug-prone. Really, only beginners use it much. Well, I used it once in one of my applications to work around a bug in the DataRepeater control, but use of that control is suitable only for great wizards. :) Perhaps you will consider learning how to use the ADO object library.

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 18 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Thank you Bob :-)

Maybe i won't give in just yet... I googled 'How to ADO Object Library and hit a very simple (or at least it looks to be in simple bite sized steps) document that steps you through 'using ADO with Microsoft Visual Basic together with an explanation on what is happening'.

Thus far -
VB6 and VB Express 2010 appear to work fine on my 32 bit Vista Laptop - so that question is now answered - thank you.
Regardless of many hours of my trying it would appear that there is no way that the ADO build connection object is going to work re 'accdb to VB6 connectivity'on my laptop. So i am now looking to see if i have the 'intelligence' to locate (and understand)how to write the relevant code, research indicates that i need to be writing/coding something along the lines of e.g. Dim Conn As ADODB. .....Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDBB.12.0; Data Source=D:\folder\file.accdb; Yes i appreciate that by moving to VB Express 2010 it will do it all for me - but i would like to learn how to get VB6 to do it. So bear with me...

i would like to say that i am very appreciative of all replies, and that i do follow through with suggestions made, often into the early hours - so a warm and greatful thankyou to all of you that have taken the time to reply :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDBB.12.0; Data Source=D:\folder\file.accdb

you've gone over-bboard on the b's. Bookmark connectionstrings
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thank you :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +