• +

26 Replies - 1955 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Human Laziness Evolving?

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

View Posttorind_2000, on 08 May 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

DIC is the only forum I'm a member of, but I can say from all of the lurking I do I see the moderators here usually take care of the gimme teh codez threads quickly. The moderators here are fantastic at filtering out the people that want their homework or work projects handed to them. They don't really tolerate that.

That is a good point, and a lot of the reason I became a member of D.I.C in the first place. There seems to be a good filter here between "need help for learning/educational reasons" and "gimmee codez".

View Postandrewsw, on 08 May 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

View Posttorind_2000, on 08 May 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Don't let the bad ones bring you down, see the good ones and help them.

I agree :)/>. If I can see that someone is making an effort then I'm happy to invest some time, and effort, to assist them in their journey - to lead them (or point them) in the right direction. If someone is not making any effort then my enthusiasm quickly fades.

Agreed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostNykc, on 07 May 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I work with some pretty great minds - some of the best developers in the country. Did you know that I caught a few of them using "Google" and "Stack Overflow"

They must be a special kind of stupid huh!!!!

Real developers never re-use code either :whistling:/>

While I totally agree with your sentiment, I'd like to suggest that good developers typically don't just dump the code they find on google into their projects and call it a day. If there's a library or project to use, then by all means use it, but if they're finding snippets, the best developers will take the time to understand the snippets to adapt them to their own uses.

But yeah, laziness isn't something new. Actually, I'm not surprised that it's heavily overrepresented in programmers: it's a personality that actually benefits programming. Bill Gates said something along the lines of always choosing the lazy person to do a difficult job, because he's going to find an easy way to do it. Being good at programming means enabling laziness. Putting together comprehensive libraries and well-formed code makes it easier to not have to do as much work in the future.

We just tend to see the absolute worst of it, because this is a forum. Don't think we're special, every forum has to deal with it. Help vampires tend to carpet bomb forums as well. They'll dump the same post on five forums hoping that someone will fix their work for them.

Just report it and don't let it get to you, because you'll never change it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

some people are lazy. some people are not. this is true in EVERY profession. it's true in EVERY time period.

dumb people think it's localized to the people surrounding them. or that they aren't part of the problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

I've taken inspiration from others' code, and implemented my own version, but I've never stolen. And I ALWAYS give credit. I'll even put a link to the help thread in the comments when I submit them to my professors.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I'll even put a link to the help thread in the comments when I submit them to my professors.

And that there is why you're a better-than-most sort of person.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Fuck commenting. Comments are for losers with too much time on their hands.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 09 May 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

As much as I hate the actual typing part of the commenting, I hate it when someone has me take a look at their code and I have to backtrack what they were doing just because they couldn't throw in a few comments to explain their thought process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Laziness has always been around and will always exist. In every profession, from store cashier to Astrophysicist, one will find lazy people. But the way I look at it, is that these people get filtered out rather quickly. That's why I love filter classes in college, and like mentioned before, these forums do a swell job of filtering out people who want code written for them and who actually are looking for help and are willing to expand and learn. In the grand scheme of things, we just have to let time pass, because these people will slowly slip off and fade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

View Postaczwicker, on 09 May 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

As much as I hate the actual typing part of the commenting, I hate it when someone has me take a look at their code and I have to backtrack what they were doing just because they couldn't throw in a few comments to explain their thought process.

This was a joke, by the way. It seems someone hasn't been around long enough to know when to take me seriously. I DO comment my code. That doesn't mean I'll understand my comments when I go back to change things, but the comments are there nonetheless.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 10 May 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

View Postaczwicker, on 09 May 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

This was a joke, by the way. It seems someone hasn't been around long enough to know when to take me seriously. I DO comment my code. That doesn't mean I'll understand my comments when I go back to change things, but the comments are there nonetheless.

Doncha love when that happens?

I was updating a module the other day and stumbled across some comments I wrote that I swear made perfect sense at the time, but now I'm just like "dafuq does this mean?" Took me like 5 minutes to figure it out, drove me nuts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

My Bad, I read that and was like WTF?? lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

Not commenting on code = job security, especially if you use variable names that are so random, or common, that no-one can make sense of what you've written.

Wal = X + Hankerchief & Sardine.ToString

Just an example. And no, I don't really do this either, but then, no-one around here can read code anyways, so doesn't matter what I use, it's safe. I know someone who used to design websites and comment poetry into the code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +