• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 1533 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming language to learn?

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Another edit: for clarity, on the hardware side, the device just coverts the USB signals it receives to UART and shoots them into a microcontroller that controls the rest of the circuit.

Just say'n there are a ton of various ways to convert USB to UART.. raspberry pi has a few, aurduino... FezII Pandas.. etc. It might make more sense to tackle the complete hardware side and see if this 'micro controller' you bolted in has something you can use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 May 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Another edit: for clarity, on the hardware side, the device just coverts the USB signals it receives to UART and shoots them into a microcontroller that controls the rest of the circuit.

Just say'n there are a ton of various ways to convert USB to UART.. raspberry pi has a few, aurduino... FezII Pandas.. etc. It might make more sense to tackle the complete hardware side and see if this 'micro controller' you bolted in has something you can use.

I think I may have been confusing with what I wrote. The hardware side/circuit is entirely complete/not an issue. The circuit has a USB port, and it takes the USB signals I send it from my laptop and sends them to an IC which converts them to UART, which it then sends to a microcontroller, which controls the rest of the circuit. The hardware side is not really an issue.

What I'm trying to do is: right now, the software I'm using to send those USB signals from my laptop to the circuit is Matlab. Instead of using Matlab to send the signals over USB to my circuit, I want to write a cross-platform compatible program. It sounds like Python + tkinter (for GUI) is the way to go.

Another question: I have been playing with tkinter and Python and got a few simple programs to work. How do I compile these to standalone exe's, though?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Python is good to go.You already have a programming background,so you'll learn it very fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hey all.

I just wanted to update you that I have been learning Python and it has been going pretty smoothly so far. It seems like it was the right choice. Thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Glad to hear it. And thanks for the update - it's nice to get a little feedback!

If you run into stumbling blocks, feel free to make use of the python forum. There's some pretty smart people lurking about there these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Good luck on learning.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -