5 Replies - 246 Views - Last Post: 08 May 2013 - 03:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A question about online focused graphic engine

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

I want to test to create an online game.
This is to hard for me for now when it comes to program the server etc.
But i think i can manage to program the "game", atleast a playable game that probably is boring.

My question is if there is a good graphic engine like opengl or something that is focused in online games.

Often when i play online games it can take a while for the client to download and unpack data
so i think i will have to find a graphics engine wich can be downloaded unpacked and executed pretty fast.

Is this even possible? I have looked for one graphic engine that moght do it but i
dont know if OpenGL or Direct X is good enough for a online game that i want to do, i want to have alot of polygons but not so many tah it will be impossible to make.
But then i need a graphics engine or game engine that can pack the content to a small object wich then can be downloaded from the client and executed. I think it goes that way.

Any suggestion or tips? I am programming in C# but i can use Java and C++ too.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A question about online focused graphic engine

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A question about online focused graphic engine

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

When you say "online game" what does that mean? Is that a 'multiplayer game', or something else?

Are you using 'graphics engine' and 'game engine' as interchangeable words?

My question is if there is a good graphic engine like opengl or something that is focused in online games.

Yes.. both of those can make a multiplayer game.

Often when i play online games it can take a while for the client to download and unpack data so i think i will have to find a graphics engine wich can be downloaded unpacked and executed pretty fast.

That all depends on your game architecture, game media, and so forth. If there was "one ultimate truest of true super lightening fastestest graphics engine" don't you think everyone would be using it? Again it's all about context.

but i dont know if OpenGL or Direct X is good enough for a online game that i want to do, i want to have alot of polygons but not so many tah it will be impossible to make.

No one knows what game you want to make so the best answer is.. sure? yeah?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

DirectX and OpenGL will certainly support the quality that will be needed for this en devour.

I've found a page that lists an extensive amount of engines, free and paid:

http://en.wikipedia....of_game_engines

Now it's up to you to do some research on whether they will suffice your needs and expectations. If not, you can try design and write the client/server game software, but that would take a year or two to get a basic model done.

I've also found a basic description on how client-server games work:

http://electronics.h...com/mmorpg7.htm

The client has all the content on the disk/HDD, and when the server sends some data that has been requested by the client, the client then loads the appropriate data, such as other members positions, what they are wearing, what their health, magic, stamina ect is. The client also sends input to the server as well, so when you move your character forward by x amount, it will send that to the server, and hence send that data to other client computers that need to know that you moved x amount, such as your clan/party.

I hope I've helped clear some stuff up :)

Aaron1178
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thanks your both of your replies it helpt atleast a little.
And #2 modi123_1 i want to make a 3d online game like everquest but you will se through your eyes for example. This will also only be a test prodject so it will not be as good as the finished product but i want to test diffrent graphics engines to se wich one suits best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'll leave that i your hands Estrobeda, it will take a long time(a couple weeks if not more) to test drive different engines. Don't forget, if you want an online game, it will cost you money for dedicated servers with good bandwidth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

You do realize that it essentially doesn't matter which graphics API you use since rendering is done client-side and not on the server, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1