7 Replies - 508 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2013 - 07:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: PHP and Frameworks. (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use a PHP framework?

1. Yes (9 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. No (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP and Frameworks.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

Hey guys,

I develop PHP applications in my spare time and never really thought about using a framework as I feel it wouldn't be worth it.

Do you use a PHP framework? (such as CakePHP)if so, how did it help you develop your applications?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP and Frameworks.

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP and Frameworks.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I use my own framework, if that counts.

I believe frameworks should be used as a tool, not as a crutch. You should be able to do manually 100% of what your framework does for you. If you're new, learn PHP - not a framework.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Like creativecoding said, I use my own "framework", if you will.

I'm against frameworks myself because I feel they allow too much leniency and room for laziness, and with PHP, that's an extremely bad thing.

I'm not saying frameworks are bad or that they're not useful, but I simply prefer to code everything myself; it keeps me on top of my syntax and programming and especially comes in handy when I don't have access to a framework and I need to code something from scratch; I would hate to forget something trivial due to depending on a framework all the time. I say that because I've forgotten how to code simple tasks in other languages due to dependency on frameworks, and that really stunts productivity. Maybe that's just me though :\

That's just my two cents.

Edit:

Sorry, I forgot to answer the second part of your question.

Frameworks have come in handy for me at times; such as when I used a framework to send emails with attachments because I had a tight deadline and I needed something quick and easy.

Frameworks are very useful, but as I said, they tend to make the programming a bit more lazy, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by xxxjj18: 12 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well defined frameworks are especially useful when developing in teams. If a handful of people working on the same code base are running around coding everything according to their own whims, things can get messy and unmanageable in a hurry.

Personally I'm more inclined to use lighter, custom frameworks instead of larger options like CakePHP or Symfony, but they do include a lot of useful features that you'd be wasting your time reproducing on your own. It also helps to have good documentation, which custom frameworks tend to lack. The more popular frameworks do much better in that area.

As to whether using frameworks damages your knowledge of the basics. That depends. I'd much rather spend my time learning new techniques; working on new things, than spending it continually refreshing the old stuff. Even if it means getting rusty on some of the basics. - Especially if your standard technique is to use a framework that takes care of that stuff for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

Like others here, I use my own framework, though it's not released publicly. I found that creating my own framework basically taught me PHP properly. Not to say that I am expert in PHP, but before I started using a framework, my code was sloppy, inefficient, and clunky.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

I personally use Frameworks and i am developing my own, but contrary to the general consensus on here i will use a framework to learn how to code what it is i am doing, by going into the actual framework and looking through the php code and breaking it down into its core functions and seeing how they perform there respected tasks. i don't think using frameworks will make you lazy but only a lazy person will just rely on them.

so i say use frameworks till your heart is content but try to learn what it is that they do, by reverse engineering them or like i do sit and read through it make notes of what parts of the script you don't understand an google them afterwords, also start developing your own framework specific to what you need for the tasks you want to take on that way your knowledge of php will grow along with good clean coding habits.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

The previous post seems like hard work to me, and not a good way to learn to code. If you learn PHP first then, if you move to a framework, you won't need to reverse-engineer it, as you'll know what it is doing anyway.

Also, if you learn PHP then, as you progress, you will come to realise why a framework can be useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

I use a framework nearly every time, CakePHP in this case as it's really similar to Ruby on Rails.

I recently built a product using pure PHP files and it's a clusterf*ck. Too much mental gymnastics keeping file locations in check, not mixing HTML and PHP, etc. Give me a well structured project with a nice view organisation any day.

What happens when a new hire comes on and I have to spend time teaching his the structure of this project. What about the next project?

Frameworks gives projects consistency and that's key for any project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1