8 Replies - 2009 Views - Last Post: 09 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Software Development Platforms

Post icon  Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Anybody here can explain a windows environment compared to a Linux environment for software development, seems like a lot of people choose windows, and at the same time they choose Linux.

I understand that companies vary and Development environments vary, but as for training purposes while i'm in college, any recommendations?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software Development Platforms

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Development Platforms

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:37 AM

I think people choose the environment they are most comfortable with. I develop on both, and for both (when applicable). there will be times you are developing platform specific applications, and during those times, it makes sense to use that platform. In most cases, you can use either to develop (although both should be used to test where applicable).

Which do you prefer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

I would suggest trying both, if your main OS is Windows give the *nix environment a look, and vice versa. I didnt do much of that when I was in college and wish I had (now I'm almost 40 and learning *nix lol).

Just my 2 cents :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

I would also recommend trying as much environment and platform as possible, so you know what do you like, this is something you probably won't have time to do while working fulltime.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

Thanks guys, Ive been on ubuntu but switched to win for a while because of my class, but now im back to ubuntu, i was just wondering because alot of guys i know program for win enviorments, using VS. and i havent seen a company use something like wxwidgets yet or mono.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

View Postmusya, on 23 Aug, 2007 - 09:42 AM, said:

Thanks guys, Ive been on ubuntu but switched to win for a while because of my class, but now im back to ubuntu, i was just wondering because alot of guys i know program for win enviorments, using VS. and i havent seen a company use something like wxwidgets yet or mono.

Typically in the working world, you won't see *nix on the desktop. The servers (web, ftp, samba, etc) & firewalls will be Linux, BSD, or AIX, with the desktops being XP or 98. In the event that you are working at a place that uses windows 98, I would strongly suggest a visit to monster.com or another job posting related website.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 Aug, 2007 - 09:47 AM, said:

View Postmusya, on 23 Aug, 2007 - 09:42 AM, said:

Typically in the working world, you won't see *nix on the desktop. The servers (web, ftp, samba, etc) & firewalls will be Linux, BSD, or AIX, with the desktops being XP or 98. In the event that you are working at a place that uses windows 98, I would strongly suggest a visit to monster.com or another job posting related website.

Hehe, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:12 AM

Since I don't do any Flash/Flex development anymore, it doesn't really matter to me on what OS I code. I like linux (kubuntu) because I have all libs/compilers/IDEs for C, Java and Python setup within an hour and it just works.

What I really hate to develop on is on a MAC. The keybord (well, the brackets) setup is just crap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

The reason I i build applications in windows is simply that my company uses windows on all their work stations and many of the local businesses do as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1