3 Replies - 6945 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Any .NET 4.0 beginner tutorials

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

I am going through a series of C# tutorials at the moment to get a better understanding of programming in C# and also have a book which is Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform and on the back of it has a road map which has another book about introducing .NET 4.0 so I am wondering if anyone knows of any good tutorials that can help me learn the basics before diving into the book I have. I did a little bit of searching and haven't found anyt tutorials yet. I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any .NET 4.0 beginner tutorials

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Any .NET 4.0 beginner tutorials

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Not a tutorial per se, but dotnetperls continues to be an indispensible tool for me when developing in .NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

If you only want the new items in 4.0, MSDN lists new features for each release. A tutorial just on 4.0 calls would still be thousands of calls if you want them all covered.

Otherwise, by now you must realize you're never going to memorize all the 1.5 million .NET framework calls available to you. Its best to learn the really 'game changing' stuff like the async/wait features of 4.5 - then experiment with new features in the areas of your day-to-day coding. For example, if you don't do much with strings you don't care about the string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace call that was added.

My standard beginner resources post - Updated Apr 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks so much for all the information and resources! I'm actually doing the 3rd route like you suggest and following the videos the C# Fundamentals videos from learnvisualstudio.net which is another one of the links you posted. :) I currently though can't buy any books at the moment so will be going through the links you've suggested once I finished the video series I'm watching and hopefully some of them will have some exercises I can do. If you know of any good site with exercises please let me know. Again thanks for all the help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1