Why you Choose C# ?

Want to ask C# Programmer why you choose C# instead VB.Net

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 8700 Views - Last Post: 27 August 2007 - 08:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why you Choose C# ?

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hello every C# Programmer
I wish to know why you choose C# language for a software developer,I can use both C# and VB language.
But I like VB more than C# because it is easier to debug ,easier to write etc..

I ever search performance benchmark between c# and vb.net it is equal be cause them run on .net framework.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why you Choose C# ?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Why you Choose C# ?

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

Ok I start programming with C; then to C++, a little on VC++ . So, i choose C# . I never learn VB. Vb.net has syntax of Vb with optimised for .net.
Since, i try only little bit hand on vb.net so i'm not in position to comapre it with C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

Its all a matter of personal choice of syntax.
Although there are some differences between both languages, in the end they're more or less the same
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:29 AM

Since you like VB, stick to it as far as profession is concerned. C# is great if you already know C++. You can choose to learn both but use what you like and what you are comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

I chose C# because I didn't want to have to learn the syntax of VB.Net after having to unlearn C++ to learn VB6. So I went with C# because the syntax was closer to C++, and I just felt comfortable about learning the new .NET syntax with the C++ feel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

Well you got to remember that both VB.NET and VC++.NET both came out of their ancestors and inherited their problems. They are massive languages and in order to stay compatible with previously written code they are going through slow transformations as they move through .NET. At times this makes them bulky. So that is why Microsoft designed C# from the ground up using C++ as a model but with an attempt to eliminate many of its problems. The syntax is very much C++ (to reduce learning curves) but C# is considered the first "fully .NET" language and for the most part is designed with the idea of "managed code".

I am not saying that VB.NET and VC++.NET don't do this, but C# was designed with those ideals already put into its core. For that reason it has its pros and cons from developers that know the other languages. C++ people think C# is a little too limiting because it plays it "safe" with the whole managed code idea. Not to mention that C++ was designed with high performance execution in mind. VB 6 people saw VB.NET grow with the object oriented side.

I know C++/VB and quite a bit C# and to tell you the truth, I like it because it gives me C++ concepts with more VB.NET type of style and english like syntax. I know many of the top competition programmers (like at topcoder.com) use C# religiously because of its C++ roots and to go low-level if need be but with an english like readability for debugging.

If I could choose one over the other, definitely C#. VB.NET is good, but for a seasoned programmer I find it a bit too simplistic at times. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 23 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

C# is somehow similar to c++ on the basis of syntax .that is why i prefer it to VB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:33 AM

I choosed C# because It's similar to C & C++ And Some thing Java (As I heard ) .. That's my reason;

This post has been edited by KeO: 24 August 2007 - 04:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:57 AM

I program in both languages, depending on the job at hand. I hear all these C# coders saying how VB isn't a real language, real programmers don't use it, blah blah. Well, VB.Net IS a real language (I cant say the same about the earlier versions mind you), and there are tons of improvements in the pipes for VB.Net (versions 9 & 10 will see it adopt the strongly typed approach of C#)

I use C# if I know I'm going to use Generics, Reflection and the sort, its just plain better for those and for low-level programming. I, however, find working with SQL (particularly the SQLDMO Object) to be easier in VB.Net, but thats just my opinion.

I think both languages definitely have their pros and cons (as does any language), but I definitely say that the VB language has come a long way in the last 5 years or so.

Just my 2 cents :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

I did C# over VB.Net since i'm c and c++ developer so didn't want to lose my curly brackets ;)

VB.Net was really developed as a way of getting the old VB developers to move to the .Net platform.

As PsychoCoder alluded VB.Net can be looked down upon by some people since an awfull lot of hobbyist coders and employees who had responsibilities other than development took up VB, so it came to be seen as a bit like "Programming for Dummies". In my area (South UK) C# developers will earn more than VB.Net developers just because of this unfortunate baggage.

The VB.Net is going in a different direction to C#. VBx (VB 10) is becoming a dynamic language so it'll actually be a different offering to C#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

I work for a company that primarily does embedded C.

I chose C# because I was alright at programming in simple C (not GUIs, mind you), but had a lot of training in Java because of my University (which I am currently enrolled in). C# seemed like a happy medium, and easier for me to pick up than VC++. I probably could have done either, but just stumbled upon some nice, open source projects that assisted me in my application.

Its really a toss up, but both VC++ and C# appear to be more useful to me than Java has ever been.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

View Postkillnine, on 24 Aug, 2007 - 11:41 AM, said:

Its really a toss up, but both VC++ and C# appear to be more useful to me than Java has ever been.

Except C# is currently platform dependent - Java is not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

C# is platform-dependant? Really? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 24 Aug, 2007 - 11:26 AM, said:

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

C# is platform-dependant? Really? :)

Yes really it is. Mono != C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

When you say "Platform" I'm assuming Windows/Linux/OSX... Are you talknig x86/ppc/mips as platform dependant?

Because C# as a language technically *is* platform (in the OS-sense) independant. Mono and .NET are just the interpreters on particular operating systems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +