12 Replies - 1295 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How many jobs accept candidates with an associate's in programming

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

To be honest, I screwed around in college enough, but I am getting an associate's degree soon and was wondering how many entry level jobs will accept a developer with a two-year college degree? In this field experience is what really counts, so on the side I've been brainstorming side projects of my own and a web portfolio I was going to put together.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How many jobs accept candidates with an associate's in programming

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How many jobs accept candidates with an associate's in programming

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but most of your questions are "I have (insert certification/degree). Will this help me get a job?" Most of our responses ask if you can provide evidence that you can do the work via a portfolio, an internship, etc. There are people with technical degrees that don't use them. There are also people with unrelated degrees, like History (in the case of Craig328). jon.kiparsky has a linguistics background. At the end of the day, it's you and your work that speak volumes, not a certification or degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

<Looking at your threads> Wow - macosxnerd101 is right... How many threads do you need to start about 'I have xxxx. How do I get a job?' ??? - Maybe an admin could merge all of them???<hint, hint>

I'm thinking if you spent half that effort actually working on skills and portfolio projects you'd have something substantial to show someone at an interview.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

You have paper. Good for you. What can you do for an employer that's actually worthwhile?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Sorry-- I know I have probably contributed to the typical "what should I do" thread, but it was something I wanted to inquire seeing that after screwing around in college, I was wondering if I could kick start after a two-year degree, even though the degree itself doesn't mean as much as actual work. I am trying to get some personal projects underway but my potential at the moment is a little bottlenecked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

but my potential at the moment is a little bottlenecked.

What does that mean?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think it means the creativity is stuck in the neck of the bottle of beer they are drinking out of.

Sounds to me like this student has drank the cool-aid of thinking that they don't have to be able to *do* so long as they have that degree. Someone is going to hire them based on their paperwork and never actually test them at an interview, or ask them describe which situations they would use the MVVM pattern in and so on.

I think it means the OP is a professional student. They can go to school, study and take tests, thus regurgitating the information they read earlier. But can't actually *apply* the new information to the world, work or projects. There is always some reason not the fault of the students why they can't accomplish. Don't have a big enough computer, don't have enough free time, woke up too hung over think, parents require a sunday dinner in exchange for funding more years of collage. But there is always a reason, and its never their fault.

Some people find nothing but obstacles that hold them back. Others find nothing but ways over, through or around obstacles so they can succeed. It's Zuelajindi's choice which of the two they choose to be.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 15 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostZuelajindi, on 15 May 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

I was wondering if I could kick start after a two-year degree

You can't buy a job opportunity. Throwing money at degrees or certifications will only get you so far. You either have the drive to learn in your chosen profession or you do not.

To answer your question, yes. People get jobs all the time. With no degrees, with associates, & so on. It is a fine combination of interviewing skills, personal skills, experience, & education.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

What everyone is saying here is true. I was in the position of having a degree and certifications but didn't start getting call backs on my resume submissions until I started putting my personal projects in the resume. I put the link to my github and my Google Play account. Showing employers I had the education and the actual drive to do projects and learn the stuff worked for me. Just do some projects.

This post has been edited by Apokio: 15 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 May 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

I think it means the creativity is stuck in the neck of the bottle of beer they are drinking out of.

Sounds to me like this student has drank the cool-aid of thinking that they don't have to be able to *do* so long as they have that degree. Someone is going to hire them based on their paperwork and never actually test them at an interview, or ask them describe which situations they would use the MVVM pattern in and so on.

I think it means the OP is a professional student. They can go to school, study and take tests, thus regurgitating the information they read earlier. But can't actually *apply* the new information to the world, work or projects. There is always some reason not the fault of the students why they can't accomplish. Don't have a big enough computer, don't have enough free time, woke up too hung over think, parents require a sunday dinner in exchange for funding more years of collage. But there is always a reason, and its never their fault.

Some people find nothing but obstacles that hold them back. Others find nothing but ways over, through or around obstacles so they can succeed. It's Zuelajindi's choice which of the two they choose to be.

It's the application that is getting to me. Although now I am actually brainstorming side projects most of the actual code tends to require optimizing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I don't have a degree. But I make a butt-load of money being a web applications developer.

It's not always about the piece of paper that you hold from an accredited school. It's about three things:
  • what you have learned (knowledge) or what experience you have
  • what your competency level is (and if you can do the job)
  • if you'd make a good fit for a team or company

Now, some will argue the opposite, but - with my experience, that's what it's always boiled down to.

My programming, web design knowledge and multimedia development skills have been self taught or by peer learning. TRUE, I probably SHOULD have a degree but, in my current position, it's not necessary.

The jobs are out there, you just need to know where and how to look for them. Once you find them, you need to be able to sell yourself to the company and show confidence, and competence. Most companies, at least in my area, give tests on your knowledge of the field you're entering or are applying for.

This gives you the opportunity to let that degree shine - or your talents.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

well i had a nice post for here but i keep getting tossed to the websites main page so fubu........................
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostDarenR, on 17 May 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

well i had a nice post for here but i keep getting tossed to the websites main page so fubu........................

I had that problem, yesterday. I understand the frustration. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1